Beeminder Forum

Wake me up when September ends: Facebook detox attempt

Here’s another run at trying to minimise social media use. My bag of tricks:

• A defined set of rules:
  1. No browsing of FB (or Twitter) unless someone sends me a link (in which case I only read the post)
  2. No posting or commenting at all
  • A public commitment: this thread plus a cryptic post on my FB profile of the Green Day song :slight_smile:
  • Beeminder: a goal to track the number of unread notifications. It’s a simple do-more goal where if I open the notification box the number of unread notifications will become zero and thus I derail
  • Other software: already had a Chrome add-on that removes the feed and use Screen Time to bug me when I try to browse unwanted sites.
  • (Last but not least) Accountability: Will be doing periodic updates here, sign-up :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Extending the ban to Twitter which seems to be a replacement drug for aimless browsing :smiley:

6 Likes

First 24 hours went quite well with a single FB visit because I was sent a link and minimal (post ban) Twitter browsing. Switched to book reading as a replacement habit for the bus ride :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So far so good. A single browsing session on FB so far (without checking notifications), but several on Twitter. Some increased beeminder forum activity may have been noticed. :smiley:

2 Likes

Still haven’t checked notifications (the Beeminder goal works), but there has been some late night browsing and a couple of posts/comments due to a bad habit of debunking stuff on the internet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

12 Days in, 41 unread notifications, a couple of posts and less than 10 comments. So far, so good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes