Here’s another run at trying to minimise social media use. My bag of tricks:
- A defined set of rules:
- No browsing of FB (or Twitter) unless someone sends me a link (in which case I only read the post)
- No posting or commenting at all
- A public commitment: this thread plus a cryptic post on my FB profile of the Green Day song
- Beeminder: a goal to track the number of unread notifications. It’s a simple do-more goal where if I open the notification box the number of unread notifications will become zero and thus I derail
- Other software: already had a Chrome add-on that removes the feed and use Screen Time to bug me when I try to browse unwanted sites.
- (Last but not least) Accountability: Will be doing periodic updates here, sign-up