Ways to limit activity timing?

I have a do-less goal I use to track using technology for entertainment–mainly YouTube and computer games. I track this time in 30 minute blocks, which works really well for me personally.

I also have a hypothesis that my days would go much better if I limited myself to engaging these behaviors only after noon. But I’m not sure how to set up Beeminder to enforce that.

• Change the goal deadline to noon? That seems like it would only work if I consistently used all my buffer every day.
  • Create another entertainment-free mornings Beeminder goal? Feels like it’d be a lot of work to keep up with an extra goal.
  • Code something up to post to another goal if a datapoint was added before noon? Yes, but then I have to find time to code it up… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thoughts? Ideas?

2 Likes

Do less goal with slope of 0 where you input 1 if you watch youtube before noon, 0 otherwise?

Something using rescuetime integration (not sure how that’d work, just spitballing)?

It should also be trivial to write a Tampermonkey script to keep track of the amount of time you spend each day on a list of domains before noon, and post a datapoint if that number exceeds a small limit (eg 5 minutes to make sure you don’t just accidentally click something and get immediately derailed).

2 Likes

Ooh, this is super interesting. Could this be made configurable without code modification, so that it could be made useful to other Beeminder users?

1 Like

I think to get it to be easily configurable and usable by as many (non-nerdy) beeminder users, you’d need to make it as an extension. I have no experience in that area, so I don’t know if that’s substantially harder.

2 Likes

I do something like this with Rescuetime, where I have a small daily
ignorable-amount so that if I click on a link that isn’t obvious that
it’ll go to Twitter I don’t get burned.

2 Likes