YNAB integration launched!

We’ve launched the YNAB integration with just one metric – money added to an account – but we know there are better YNAB metrics to beemind. Let us know what we should add next! (And comment here if you have ideas of Beemindery things to add to the list). Also if you have been using YNAB longer than me and can comment on how (or if) the “Age of money” idea would work, that would be awesome!

• Reconcile your accounts on the regular (get a +1 for each reconciliation)
  • Number of transactions in a specific category DO MORE
  • Number of transactions in a specific category DO LESS
  • Whittle down for number of uncategorized transactions
  • Age of money (like a weight gain goal?)
0 voters
4 Likes

If it’s useful, here’s why I’d like a “number of transactions in category - less” option:

Fewer transactions at the supermarket, the more groceries planning & fewer opportunities to be tricked into buying things.

It’d also be nice to limit number of money assignments to category per period. Though I’m not sure if this is trivial with their API. The reason here is:

Making a budget is nice, sticking to it is nicer :slight_smile: I’d like to be able to commit to “being able to assign money to category 2 times a month.” which would constrain me to be more planned.

2 Likes

Just tried to use the new integration and I’m a bit confused :grimacing: I expected to be able to select budget categories, rather than accounts.

The reason I’m using YNAB is decoupling “bank account” from “budget category.” My budgeting performance isn’t captured by the x Euros in my savings account. I’ll call it a successfully budgeted month if in the same month:

1. I had an emergency and spent x/2 Euros from my emergency fund. Reducing my savings by half.
  2. I managed to add y Euros towards next year’s vacation budget.

I’d really like to be able to get help from Beeminder for (2).

4 Likes

In my opinion, Age of Money is more of a lag measure than a lead measure because it is the effect of having more money available to budget (i.e. more money coming in, less going out). And it goes up very slowly. I could see a use case for someone looking to slowly get to 30 days for the first time though. Mine is currently around 100 days, but I’ve been using YNAB for 4 years now.

4 Likes

I agree with @aad, this will mostly be useful to me if I can track the amount in a specific category, e.g. the savings to buy a house, or the savings for my next gadget. I’d love it if I could have a goal for saving for my next ereader – eventual guilt-free buying of the latest pretty from Onyx Boox!

A reconciliation goal is my second best; I already have a manual goal for it.

4 Likes

I think there are a few things that are essential to successful use of YNAB:

1. Make sure you give your money a job. This basically translates into Ready to Assign == 0.
  2. Frequent reconciliation. This ensures you have all transactions added to the system.
  3. No uncategorized transactions…
  4. Roll with the punches. I.e. no categories in the red.

If I could track these things with Beeminder, I would be confident I was doing a good job using the budget tool.

6 Likes

I agree that a reconciliation goal would be the most helpful. Though would also like a do less goal for spending in specific categories.