Revamped Reminders

If you are viewing a goal, you can choose ‘goal settings’ from the menu which allows you to set a ‘Panic buffer’
This gives you a notification when you have n days until the goal date. (I’m not 100% sure if it notifies you every day you are inside the buffer, always set it to 0 to turn it off.)

2 Likes

I think you get a reminder every day at the remind me time every day up to the last day then you only get zeno polled throughout the day on the last day. (Need @dreev to confirm this.)

1 Like

I fully sympathise with the getting-sucked-into-email problem.

My Pushover notifications, for interest, are triggered by an email but don’t launch the email app.

Similarly, you could rig something using IFTTT, including international SMS alerts.

Or, if the android app genuinely doesn’t have the right settings (yet), y’all should continue to petition @saranli until it becomes true…

2 Likes

I like the idea of the new reminders a lot :slight_smile: It looks like something I wished had existed for quite a long time :slight_smile: Now I am trying to implement my intended use, and encountered something that is perhaps a bug but maybe a feature :smile:
Here are some of my goals before I apply defaults to them:

And here is how they look like after I check just the first checkbox.

All three goals which had similar names had their settings turn to inactive. Why do I even have goals with similar names, is a separate question :slight_smile: I will see from tomorrow’s reminders if this behaviour meant that defaults were applied to all the three goals, or just the input boxes went inactive.

UPD: After I saved all the changes, I saw that the defaults were not applied to the goals #2 and 3 of the pictured three goals. So, this bug doesn’t influence anything meaningful, but perhaps this is still not the intended behaviour (and may be an easy UVI ;))

UPD2: And one more suggestion, because I have just received one of those reminders.
It says: “This goal uses an automatic data source, so no need to respond with data, but do go do whatever it is that you’re supposed to be doing!”
Which is quite misleading because it is a do-less goal, and the only thing it is reasonable to be reminded about here is to be careful and to avoid doing the thing too much :slight_smile: (And I suppose that the reminders are already goal-type-specific, as this one shows the “limit” in the email topic).
It maybe argued that “go do whatever it is that you’re supposed to be doing” implies “not doing the measured thing”… but that may be too complicated a logical operation if somebody is under stress of the eep! the reminder reminds of.

4 Likes

I’ve also encountered this default highlighting issue for multiple goals beginning with ‘read’ I’m guessing there might be some kind of javascript selector issue.

2 Likes

On the default email settings page, I’d like to be able to toggle the sort order from the current alphabetical order to eep distance order the same as my front my goals page.

Alphabetical is good and useful, and makes a sensible default ordering, but I spend a lot more time looking at my goals in time order so I tend to know where to find them and the ones I am most interested in are closer to the top.

#UVI

3 Likes

Changing goal deadline via the default settings page does not trigger a chart refresh so the chart still shows the old deadline. (This may not be something worth fixing until after client side graphs.)

Manually refreshing the graph from the goal page fixes the problem.

2 Likes

Our counterargument from the blog post:

We think the right way to stop Zeno polling is to dispatch your dang-diggity beemergency (i.e., get back on the yellow brick road) and if you disagree we want you to prove you’ve thought about it!

But mostly our answer is: don’t. Zeno polling is brilliant. And if we’re about to take your money we really should tell you about it. [With a footnote about the Uncle button.]

We very much want this to be consistent across the smartphone apps and the website, yes. The first step is getting zeno polling on iOS at all, which is happening.

this++

And insti’s description is good. I tried to initialize settings to be as close as possible to the settings you’d already had, so looks like you had reminders off for this one.

What we’ve done is actually quite similar to what’s already available in the android app. Hopefully coming to iOS soon.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is what’s happening. I’m using javascript to update the state of the fields when you check/uncheck the box, and if the three goals all start the same, must be using a lazy selector that isn’t differentiating.

Love the different sort order thing. Definitely would be useful.

1 Like

Since I use Gmail, I have IFTTT send me mobile notifications when the bot sends me an eep message. There’s some latency but it’s not bad until you get into the last 1-2 hours before derailment.

(Is this in the IFTTT integration launch user-contributed recipe list?)

I used to have Gmail automatically forward bot messages to a custom forwarding address that forwarded to my phone number’s email to SMS gateway. That was very low latency despite how convoluted that all sounds, but the notifications were harder to parse when they came in groups.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying the new defaults. It makes it much easier to change the large number of goals that I have. Thanks for doing this, @bee

4 Likes

Can we get iOS notifications for the revamped reminders instead of mails?

1 Like

Please re-add the time of the next check-in to the zeno polling mails!

If I know the time of the next check-in, when I’ve done my work and after that time has past no new mail has been sent, I know that BM has picked up the latest datapoint. Then I can put it off my mind and don’t need to do any manual checking or syncing.

4 Likes

As a I said before the revamped reminders will be more useful if they are delivered via your mobile app (IOS or Android) They arrive faster and are more visible than any mail which I guess many of us are not checking that constantly. That will be a great addition in a next iteration.

2 Likes

The android app already supports this and I believe adding it to the IOS app is going to happen soon.

1 Like

I had not thought of that use case. I always obsessively refresh the web site or the Android app. But I’m sold. Planning to put this back in. #XUVI

1 Like

Finally did this tonight!

5 Likes

Dear @bee, with this most recent change, I suggest checking if nothing has been broken recently in terms of zeno-polling. I am currently being zeno-polled vigorously on a goal where I have had “-1” in the settings, which, if I have understood it correctly, should save my mailbox from zeno-polling :slight_smile:
(A most apparent case when “no thanks” I don’t want zeno polling is a non-undoable do-less goal. I am not often in the red on this goal, so I can’t really bring evidence whether it is a recent case or not)

1 Like

thanks for the heads up! I’ll see what I can figure out. Tentative theory: being in the red == zeno poll, but for a do less goal really maybe shouldn’t since you can’t undo… hm… might need to do some philosophizing in order to properly correct it! :\

1 Like