Akrasia implemented immediately after goal is set instead of a week after

Is there a selection I can make so as to immediately implement the week delay to any changes (notably deletion of a goal)? In other words, prohibiting me from deleting a goal the day after I make it.

1 Like

Weaselproofing will do that! However, itā€™s worth reading through what that means before you do that, because it has other effects too.

Itā€™d be interesting to know if you decide against it and why, in case thereā€™s a new feature idea in there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry about the super late response, weaselproofing seems perfect. From what I understand it will stop me from immediately deleting goals and it also makes it harder to make an ā€˜excuse.ā€™ Both of which seem like things Iā€™d prefer for my beeminder goals.
I canā€™t find the weaselproof option in settings. On the blog it says itā€™s under ā€˜advanced settingsā€™ but I donā€™t see an ā€˜advanced settingsā€™ option that I can navigate too. I know thereā€™s a goal-specific ā€˜weasel proof meā€™ option, but I would prefer to set it as a site wide default if possible.

Hi Daniel! Thereā€™s no site-wide default for weaselproofing; it needs to be opted into on a per-goal basis. Itā€™s really interesting that you expected a site-wide default ā€“ do you know which blog post gave you the impression that there was one? Maybe we can edit that a bit and make things clearer!

(And of course, we can consider adding it as a feature, too! I think Iā€™m personally hesitant about that because I see people weaselproof on auto-pilot already, and then realise ā€“ after a derailment, when they want to call not-legit ā€“ that they have no way to prove that they were in X place at X time or brushed their teeth after breakfast.)

1 Like

Blog post: Weasel-Proofing and the Definition of Legitimacy | Beeminder Blog

Not sure if it really needs to be changed, I just misunderstood mostly from this line: ā€œUPDATE: The ā€œweasel-proof meā€ checkbox is something you have to opt in to in advanced settings, not to be confused with the ā€œI swear not to weaselā€ box that you have to check when pledging on goals.ā€
For some reason the second half of that line mentioning it to be goal specific made me think the first option in advanced settings wasnā€™t goal specific. But now that I read it more closely I see that the second is while pledging on a goal, not in a goal page.

I do see the issue with a site wide weasel proof that you mentioned. I guess I would just want a way where it automatically forbid me from deleting goals shortly after I made them. I can just click the weasel button when I make a goal, that works well too.

Thank you!!

Oof, thatā€™s quite old! @dreev, do you have any light to shed? Is there an account-wide button hiding somewhere that I know nothing of? Or did we get rid of it? Am I having weirdly specific amnesia? :joy:

Ooh, thanks, yā€™all! I just added updates to that old blog post to clarify! (Donā€™t think we ever had account-wide weaselproofing.)