Bidirectional integration between Todoist and Beeminder using IFTTT

I wrote about this a bit here but I imagine most people here don’t read my blog.

This is basically just a note to say that I’m finding the integration I’ve got set up between todoist and beeminder really useful, and if you’re at all inclined to do something similar I’d encourage you to check it out.

What I currently have is a pair of IFTTT rules such that:

1. Every TODO item completed in Todoist gives me a point towards a ‘do more’ goal called todone. I currently have this set to 15 items / week.
  2. Every eep day in Beeminder gets a “Don’t derail on {{goal}}” Item in Todoist due at its derail time in a project called “Eep”. Note that this makes item 1 easier because it means that for the purposes of not derailing I essentially have a “free” item.

2 is a bit experimental and is there with the goal of letting Todoist be my comprehensive “What do I have to get done today” list. Ideally the created items would not count towards the other goal but I haven’t figured out a good way to deal with that yet.

I originally set this up for being less aversive about things and, well, it’s made me less aversive about using a TODO list, which is I guess a good start. :smile:

6 Likes

I initially like the sound of 2, although i’m not sure if it encourages “living on the edge” :slight_smile:

That said, I have a similar setup as (1) with Trello, and just added an IFTTT recipe like (2) :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

So 2 is great for its intended purpose of putting everything in one place, and I’m currently far enough ahead on my todoist goals that I’m not noticing the living on the edge phenomenon.

I might just implement a rule that I’m required to delete the “don’t derail on todoist” task rather than marking it complete if it becomes a problem.

2 Likes

(2) Kicked in today for the first time, and it’s nice to see my beemergencies in the same screen as other Trello to-dos. Thank you for the idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi I recently started using Todoist and I would love to have function #2, but I don’t see anything like that when I search on IFTTT. How does one get the #2 function above where we can see beemergencies in a unified view from Todoist?

Thanks!

2 Likes