I’ve been using the Beeminder for several years already, with a history of both successes and failures.
So far, my two major takeaways are: things change and autodata rules.
Manually inputting the data fails on me eventually.
Autodata breaks eventually too, but that’s due to lifestyle changes and it generally lasts way longer (months/years instead of weeks).
So, there’s a drain on a number of my data sources. To compensate for that, I have to set up an inflow of new data sources.
There is a certain failure mode: if I don’t have an automated data input, I procrastinate on setting up a goal. Or I don’t, set up the goal with manual data input and this decreases chances of me setting up some automated data input. When the manual input fails, which doesn’t take that long, the whole goal fails.
Ideally, I want to have a data source operational for a month or so before I set up a goal for it, just to see if the data is accurate and reliable. I did something similar with setting almost-horizontal slope for some “trial period”. Without a designated cue to switch from “trial period” to actual usage, though, I forget about this stuff and leave it in “trial period” for unspecified time.
Non-committal way of setting up a data source for a trial period is helpful against the procrastination, but data sources getting stuck in non-committal limbo for indefinite time without good reason are a problem in itself.
I’m setting up this topic mainly to publicly keep track of my data sources, with some (hopefully) relevant thoughts. Any input welcome!