Deadline changes not subject to the akrasia horizon?

After changing my timezone to get back in line with where I actually live, I went to tweak some of my deadlines to put them back at the real-life time I’m used to. I realized in the process that I can immediately set a deadline later (ie, not subject to the akrasia horizon). In other words, if I were having an eeep day and just needed another hour or two, I could get it by changing the deadline.

Is this intentional behavior? If so, is it possible to keep nudging later until you’ve actually bought yourself a day?

1 Like

This is called snoozing your deadline and you can only do it more than 6 hours before the deadline. Source: Deadlines can't be snoozed anymore

2 Likes

This seems to be a day for longstanding users to discover places where we don’t strictly enforce the akrasia horizon. :slight_smile:

The less analytical among you may have used these features without realising when they were technically ‘breaking the rules’ while keeping with the spirit of your commitment.

2 Likes

I was able to do it 50 minutes before the deadline, so the second part of your statement doesn’t seem to be true.

I did get a lovely “We’re watching you! Are you sure you’re not weaseling?” email afterwards, though, which I appreciated.

1 Like

Huh… I’m pretty sure I let myself derail at least once because I didn’t think I’d be allowed to edit my deadline that close to it happening :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In effect, your unwritten fine print prohibited you from even trying. :slight_smile:

I think that’s fine. More than fine. Fully in keeping with the type bee personality.

So much beeminding relies on us mustering just a bit of self-control and not probing the weaknesses that may lurk in quirks of the implementation (whether buggy or deliberately lenient).

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. After all, if one has no self-control, they can fudge a week’s worth of data and be off the hook. I usually find Beeminder to be the right balance of “I could get away with not doing this” and “… but I’d really only be cheating myself.”

2 Likes