feature request: effortlessly change between two x-axis-mins

i don’t have a habit of doing this, simply because it would be so much effort. but since the graph zoom is Not At All ideal, i’ve often thought about changing the x-axis-min of many of my longer-running goals to something like only a week or a month in the past.
so i believe it would be super handy to be able to quickly change between the default (x-axis-min = the original/chosen starting point many months or years in the past) and a “recent” display mode (x-axis-min = one month / week / 10 days / other short time period of one’s choosing in the past from the current day).

why do i want to see the most recent activity?
because i am interested to see how much autoratcheting there was, what colour the most recent data points have, how often i derailed recently, etc. etc. (some of my goals have 0 post derail reapite, but i think even 7 days post derail respite won’t be visible on a years-long graph.)

why don’t i just change the x-axis-min to yesterday/today and repeat that every two or whatever months to always have a good overview of the recent events?
because i am proud of ALL my progress and don’t just want to visually erase that!

5 Likes

Thanks for helping think through stuff like this! You’re totally right and we just need to hopefully find an answer that doesn’t introduce a new setting (see the anti-settings principle). The ideal answer is to move the dynamic graphs from graph.beeminder.com to Beeminder proper. Which is still happening! (And I guess serves as a workaround for this feature request in the meantime?)

2 Likes

Just FYI, stuff in the forum doesn’t go into my feedback tracker (due to it being too difficult to ensure that I don’t double-enter stuff as people bump old threads, etc; I think I have some ideas about getting around that, but I haven’t got it nailed down yet).

So, at least for now, when you’re super-keen for a feature, or have a bug report, or any other kind of feedback, it’d be super-helpful to let support (support@beeminder.com) know as well. We do use that spreadsheet to aid in decision-making, after all. :grin: Thanks!

5 Likes

oh yes, wonderful, thank you! i didn’t have that actively on my radar for whatever reason, that graph.beeminder.com is much better at this than beeminder proper—should prove to be a sufficient workaround for now :)

good to know, thank you! i’ll send a bundle of all my past feature requests pitched on the forum to support right away. :)

3 Likes