More interactive graph?

This is a quick feature request. I like to keep only the recent history visible for most of my goals. This helps to keep recent developments visible on the graph, especially for goals that are maintained for a long time.

However, I regularly need/want to see a different time range on the graph temporarily, either to take a quick screenshot or to get a more long term perspective. Currently to do this, I need to go to the goal page, change the settings, do whatever I needed the different graph for, then change the settings back. This is a clunky and unintuitive workflow, for something that is a regular occurrence in my use of Beeminder. This is even more tedious on mobile.

I think a solution as already exists on the graph editor for the default goal display would be a nice solution, where a subsection of the full graph can be selected for view.

I would suggest combining this with changing the permanent graph range settings to be relative (“show last X days”) or something like that.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

These are both suggestions we’ve seen a few times before, so thanks for letting us know you’re keen as well! Just to check, have you ever mentioned this to us in support (support@beeminder.com)? It won’t go into my suggestions spreadsheets from the forum – alas, it’s proven too difficult to track the forum accurately for now, though I keep trying to figure out a good way to do so – but these are features I’m keen on too, so I’d like to be able to add your votes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I sent a follow up email. Thanks

1 Like

I have a similar problem, e.g. the graph for this new goal I just set up is almost useless:

@shanaqui I’m quite confused why your answer here doesn’t mention graph.beeminder.com, which seems to be available, and which you already mentioned 6 months earlier, back in January 2022:

Isn’t that a valid solution? And why isn’t it part of the main site? It seems WAY better than the static graphs…

Oh, only because the screenshot from the original poster’s post is from the visual graph editor anyway, and their suggestion is about implementing that feature from the visual graph editor onto the main site – they didn’t need to be told about it! :slight_smile: It’s definitely a valid solution for this problem, which I would’ve recommended if they had needed it.

There’s not that much demand for the graph style on graph.beeminder.com to hit the main site, as far as I can tell from the feedback I collect. It’s just not something people care about as much as stuff like new integrations, particular bugfixes, etc. I’d love to see it hit the main site sometime soon, personally… but practically, other stuff is way more in demand. Not that we definitely won’t do it, but shiny as it is, it may not be the most important thing right now, alas.

2 Likes

Ah I see, thanks. As you’ll see from my other long post just now, I didn’t even know what “the visual graph editor” referred to until I did the described detective work; it wasn’t at all obvious to me.

I’m generally much more inclined towards “function over form” than most, but despite that, IMHO Beeminder really deserves a UI/UX face lift. I dive deeper into that belief in the other post so I won’t repeat it here.

1 Like