Goal Automating the tracking of in bed time using ios/Apple watch

Is there a way that I can automatically log/beemind if I am indeed in bed by a certain bedtime? With no scripts… I can integrate the shortcuts app though. Will the meta goal help? To count if the datapoint is not there by a certain time? Im using an Apple Watch so it does give my bedtime. I also use a couple of other apps on the watch that also gives the bedtime. I read another post about it and I’m not looking for the wake up time or tips on sleep. I just have a problem of actually shutting it down and going to sleep. For example if I’m watching a good series or movie. I would like it tracked so that I know there’s a penalty if I don’t take my butt to bed lol

2 Likes

In thinking about this…maybe a shortcut that pulls my bedtime start time and sends a 1 or 0 to Beeminder based on it being before or after a set time? I don’t know how to write scripts for Beeminder goals (haven’t tried) but most times I can get shortcuts to do what I want for whatever iOS automation I’m trying to do .

2 Likes

a shortcut that pulls my bedtime start time

When I read “pulling bedtime start” I think of “querying the Health data.” Instead, a “personal automation” trigger could be worth a shot.

iOS already enables triggering Shortcuts using these as triggers: start of wind down, start of bedtime, waking up.

You may be able to use Beeminder app’s “Add Data” Shortcuts integration in combination with that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

also helpful if your bedtime coincides with putting the phone into a particular ‘focus mode’ or starting an app like SleepCycle.

3 Likes

Yes. I use shortcuts heavily. It’s my preference to automate as many goals as I can… along with what beeminder can automate. I am now testing a shortcut I created that pulls my actual bedtime. Right now I just have it going to a calendar event… just to see how it works. I had wanted it to run at around 1am. But that won’t work because I don’t have my watch connected to my phone during that time. So I’ll run it in the morning a couple more nights before using the ‘add data’ which is what I’m aiming at using.

2 Likes

I thought about that also. I used sleeptown… years ago which gamified sleep

1 Like

What I have set up so far…
A shortcut that pulls my in bed time. I had to work with it and pull the ‘last’ in bed time of the day using a variable of ‘yesterday’. Then have it read whether it was after 11pm. I wanted it be 1045…eventually 1030 but the apple watch eventually recognizes that you are in bed by lack of movement. Possibly lowered heartrate and/or respiratory rate? And that takes a few minutes to pick up correctly. Right now I do initiate the shortcut which I have going to my calendar just to test. I will test the shortcut running at a set time or some type of initiated action again first to my calendar then to beeminder if it works consistency.

The calendar event just says: Past bedtime! with the in bed time in the notes. With beeminder ideally I want it to have a 1 and the bedtime in the comments. Either a do less or do more goal.

Since Ive been having insomnia I wanted to do something to push me to have a regular sleep schedule. I don’t want to track actual sleep because right now that’s all over the place and until very recently broken through the night.

3 Likes