Goal Rate setting out of sync with slope?

I seem to have ended up with a goal where the “Goal Rate” in the Commitment isn’t in accord with the slope that I’m seeing. It’s the slope that seems to actually determine the commitment (and I’d like it to be the number in the Goal Rate). This is almost certainly down to some error in my use of the road editor, but I’m not sure of the best way to fix it, and it is at best slightly confusing for the idiot user (me)

Goal is: https://www.beeminder.com/clivemeister/talk_to_zoe
Goal Rate is 1.0 units/week:

Current slope of commitment road seems to be 2.5 units/week (although I get to do 1 unit a week for three glorious weeks in November 2028, if I’m reading it right??):

Yep, the goal rate is out of sync because there’s a section of the road (between 2019-10-27 and 2028-11-02) which is already pre-set to 2.5. Your “goal rate” will set the end rate of the goal, but any road segments already entered don’t get changed.

The easiest way to fix it will be to change the 2028-11-02 date to the date seven days from when you’re making the change, and save that. That way you’ll need to continue to do 2.5/week through the akrasia horizon, since you can’t make your goal easier, but then that massive pre-set chunk of road will be over and you’ll be able to do what you want.

1 Like