Gratitude journaling together

I’ve been eyeing up several lovely sets of postcards I can get online. I’m currently using mostly Planetarium postcards, which are lovely artist renditions of the night sky, constellations, comets, etc. There are a few blog posts on Postcrossing suggesting sets you can get, as well.

(Yep, I’m tempting you/everyone.)

1 Like

Had to follow your link to Postcrossing - and what a charming thing it is! I feel I shall be joining soon… :slight_smile:

1. I’m watching a parcel slowly inch its way to me via the tracking. I didn’t actually pay for priority tracked shipping, but I got it anyway, which is fun. Assuming this parcel is what I think it is…
  2. A meeting is cancelled so that’s an hour less of STUFF in a busy day. Woo.
  3. I have done a nice thing for someone (which I have to keep secret for a while) so yay being able to do this nice thing!
2 Likes

Murderbot sounds awesome! I have to get them all! Thanks for the book rec - I can always use more!

I’m grateful for this amazing book I just ordered and read, Exhalation by Ted Chiang - absolutely brilliant SF stories on free will, causation, and moral responsibility. Chiang is such a great writer and this collection of stories is even better than his first book, Stories of Your Life and Others, which got retitled as Arrival and Other Stories when they made the movie of Arrival.

3 Likes

I’m grateful for this forum and that I was able to finish my project and get 60 hours of work done! And grateful to @adamwolf for inspiring it and @adamwolf, @dreev, @bee, @narthur, and everyone else who

wrote code 

that makes such a big difference in my life!

2 Likes

I still need to get to Exhalation!

Today’s belated three:

1. Hot water bottles, since yesterday I did a few too many crunch kicks for someone just adding them into my regimen. Ow!
  2. Repeat prescriptions, since my anxiety meds are finally on one.
  3. My wife, for sitting in phone queues for me each month while we tried to get my meds put on repeat.
2 Likes
  1. New writing paper! It’s so cute!
  2. I’m really enjoying 84 Charing Cross Road; it makes it better that it was real and these people really did send these letters!
  3. My grandmother-in-law’s stash of embroidery floss (which we inherited last year) had everything in it I need for a new project. It’s been a while since I did any cross-stitch!
3 Likes
  1. I ordered tools to help me toy around with electronics and they arrived today, yay!
  2. my FOCI arrived today and it’s charging currently. Let’s see if it was worth the money
  3. I found the name for an old song I love but of which I didn’t know its name
  4. my Chinese restaurant around the corner is open again and I just picked up takeout from there, yum!
1 Like

Embroidery floss? After a moment of confusion I moved past the “it probably got nothing to do with dental floss” stage and have now added this to my list of English vocabulary I will likely never use :slight_smile:

Oh wow, that Foci looks cool! Grateful you showed it to me! I’d like to hear about how it works and if it can really tell when you’re focusing.

1 Like

Unless perhaps you’re talking to me! :smiley:

Probably you figured out as much as you’re interested in, but embroidery floss is the thread you sew with when you’re doing embroidery. It comes in a little bundle and normally you cut a length that’s good to work with, and then pull out the number of threads you need to hold together for the work you’re doing. There’s normally six threads in a strand and you might work with one or two or maybe three depending on the kind of fabric you’re using.

My grandmother-in-law’s floss is all neatly wound round bobbins and sorted by number in a pair of boxes. Our own stocks of floss are… much less tidy, ahaha.

I am very curious about how this works out! Normally my ability to focus isn’t bad, but when my anxiety goes up so does my attention span… up in flames, that is.

2 Likes

I am adding 84, Charing Cross Road to my reading list ASAP, thanks for mentioning it! Here’s some things I’m grateful for today:

• I had a very good week at work and this is the first weekend since lockdown where I don’t feel stressed out that I didn’t get enough done during the week. Work-life balance is hard when my work laptop is inevitably so close at hand!
  • Being able to play Minecraft online with my little brother, thousands of km apart. It works so smoothly and it feels like being in a different place for a little while.
  • Being at home I get to use all my fountain pens for anything and everything. Currently I can’t stop using my TWSBI Diamond 570 RB. It has a little Taiwan flag on it, I’m obsessed.
1 Like
  1. Reconnecting with old friends. I’m sending a “care package” to someone I went to university with to help her get back into cross-stitching!
  2. I got a good way through my cross-stitch project last night.
  3. My parcel is now for really-real scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Any chance you’re a member of the Fountain Pen Network? If so, watch out for my mother. :joy: She’s a huge fountain pen fan and a mod there. (I’m a shame to my family and use a biro… Taking good care of a fountain pen just takes so much time, and I’ve lost my tiny little one that was a special joy to use. Not sure where my classic Estie has gone, either.)

Hope you enjoy 84 Charing Cross Road too!

1 Like

Let me see a pic of the pen!

Grateful for Blake Crouch’s novel “Recursion,” (review) which I just stayed up all night reading and finally finished. So good! Anyone who likes PKD or LeGuin’s “Lathe of Heaven,” or any good time travel story, will love it.

Oh man, you’ll love it.

Grateful for more good time travel books to read! I think Version Control (review) is next.

1 Like

I’m speechless, unforgivable! :sweat_smile: I think I’ve kept my fountain pen hobby mostly offline so far… maybe this is where I’ll start, I’ll check it out, thanks!

The pen looks like this. I like flags and this tickles two of my interests at the same time. :slight_smile:

My parcel is now unscheduled for delivery and I am really irritated, so to calm myself down…

1. The main bit of my cross-stitch is finished and I’m now doing the border.
  2. New book! I need to write about my new book-buying rules today…
  3. I got through Habitica’s inbox really fast today!
1 Like
  1. My parcel did get delivered! The Onyx Boox Poke2 is a very shiny ereader but perhaps not for those who want things to Just Work straight out of the box.
  2. I have planned my day so I will have a bath and read in the middle of it and then finish it by cross-stitching.
  3. My mother bought us plants and they’ve arrived. It will be a mystery what they are, I have no idea what she got us.
2 Likes
  1. New books! This is my last big spree for a while…
  2. Having a lighter day of work yesterday made me really want to do a lot today!
  3. Mum’s letter today had a story about when she and dad were in their early twenties. Ahaha.
2 Likes
  1. An old friend and I are chatting much more often and it is very nice.
  2. Cheese. I shouldn’t eat too much of it (I had my gallbladder removed years ago!) but it is so good. Doesn’t have to be special; melted in my dinner is good regardless.
  3. I have a new Pomodoro timer which is ridiculously cute (Study Bunny).
2 Likes