Beeminder Forum

How do I set the 'zoom' on my beeminder visualization to show 1-2 weeks max and not the entire time period?

What it says on the title. I have trouble with ADHD and notice that visualized data appeals to me more than an abstract set of numbers in a table. Ideally I would like to be able to have a zoomed in view of only a week or two and if I go above the YBR, I’ll decided whether to make it steeper or let it say the same if I have commitments in the future that cannot be avoided.

8 Likes

You can edit the time range under “Terrifyingly Advanced” settings on the goal, but you need to enter an absolute date, not a relative date. So you would need to edit the setting periodically to stop the view from widening.

4 Likes

Ah. :frowning: That was my understanding of what was possible as well. Just figured I’d ask still. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As with most things here on the forum, either chime in with your [dis]approval or click the heart on someone’s post. That’s partly how we gauge interest in potential features; in this case, relative date settings for tmin and tmax.

3 Likes

What @philip said. This is not hard to add but I’m not certain about the priority because truly zoomable graphs are coming later this year.

3 Likes

Despite the topic, this isn’t actually a question about zooming. It’s orthogonal to client-side graphs, because there’s a distinction between default-viewport and easy-zoom-and-pan.

I have a number of goals that I periodically ratchet forward the x-min and x-max, for which it’d be handy to be able to express them in relative terms and be done with it.

8 Likes

Ah. Good to know. :slight_smile:

[quote=“philip, post:6, topic:557, full:true”]
Despite the topic, this isn’t actually a question about zooming. It’s orthogonal to client-side graphs, because there’s a distinction between default-viewport and easy-zoom-and-pan.

I have a number of goals that I periodically ratchet forward the x-min and x-max, for which it’d be handy to be able to express them in relative terms and be done with it.
[/quote] AMEN (since it’s a Sunday) :smile:

to quote myself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

bump… @dreev perhaps a candidate for 2016’s feature list? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@dreev Another bump as it’s past the first anniversary since my original posts :smiley:
At 30 goals total, trimming my graphs has become a job on itself…

4 Likes

I’ll fourth this (after @imran, @philip and @apolyton) as a nice feature to add.

3 Likes

For features like this, which could be implemented 100% client side fairly easily, and which the Beeminder team probably hasn’t decided are a bad idea but just doesn’t appear to have time to work on (as evidenced by this still not being fixed 20 months after being reported), has anyone considered writing a browser extension?

It’s painful for me to hear that you’re maintaining this for 30 goals by hand :confused:

4 Likes

Any more thoughts on a relative x-min? I’d love to just be able to enter -60 in x-min and have it always show the last 60 days in my graphs.

I’m confused about the discussion here of client-side graphs and zooming as a solution, btw. That doesn’t seem to be a thing, at least on the website. Did it never happen or can I just not find it?

3 Likes

Fifth!! or sixth I guess?

2 Likes

@dreev Does it count more if I ask for this again after five years? :smiley:

I’m currently “solving” this with a bash script that mass-updates the settings but most people would not call this is a solution :slight_smile:

5 Likes