I really want to turn @mary's autodialer into a repl.it-powered webapp.

Says it in the title. But I think I need help because time. Anyone game?

Here’s the repo:

I’m really new to repl.it, so not sure the best way to collaborate on it…

My goal is for it to have it’s own database and allow Beeminder users to authenticate using oauth, and then add their goals using hashtags in the goal’s fineprint. I’m thinking something like:

tag desc
#autodial enable autodialer for this goal
#autodial_limit=10 set autodialer max (for do-more) or min (for do-less)

Maybe there are more I’m missing, too?

Also we’d need some way to trigger the autodialing job to run on a schedule, which I’m not 100% sure how to do with repl.it.

1 Like

I’ve made some changes to the one that I’m using so that it respects things like weekends off and a few little things like that. Let me know if you’d like to talk about it while you’re putting this together!

2 Likes

Yes, would love to know more about it! I was assuming it only changed the rate of the last segment of the road. Is that not the case?

@mary could you point me at the code so I can take a look at it? Are the latest changes here?

Don’t repl.it apps only run when you open them? Shouldn’t an autodialer need to run in the background or at least periodically?

1 Like

Yup!

There are lots of options for poking websites on a schedule for this sort of thing, though. Even a decade ago, folks would install Wordpress on hosts that didn’t offer any sort of cron functionality to their users, and there were a bunch of third party options to hit your site on a schedule and have your site then see if it should trigger a background job.

I also seem to remember repl.it saying that scheduled jobs were coming, too.

2 Likes

I don’t see a blog post, but I got an email today about repl.it having always-on instances now. They told me I get a few since I’m on one of their paid plans, but I don’t know any more details than that.

2 Likes