Is there a good reason for not having "Beeminder" in the website title?

This situation has been bothering me for a while.

I use a tool to switch between windows and tabs, and whenever I want to go to Beeminder, I get stuck. I run the tool with a shortcut that gives me a search bar that fuzzy queries all open windows, open browser tabs, launchable programs, and whatever else I want to open. It’s similar to Alfred on macOS.

The only website that I know that doesn’t announce its name (that I use regularly) in the title is Beeminder. Training my brain to query for “dashboard” has been unsuccessful thus far.

2022-04-11_18-05

I would go so far and call that an antipattern (without having any professional web development experience). Is there a specific reason for “Beeminder” not being in the title? If there is a reason that makes sense (according to my judgment), I will donate $50 to a charity of @dreev’s choice.

3 Likes

Do you mean antipattern or “dark pattern”?

You know what, probably neither, if I am honest. I looked up the definition of an anti-pattern, and it’s not what I thought it meant. I attempted to sound smarter than I am.

I meant “something that someone might do, but there is no benefit for anybody doing it that way (and there is a different way that makes more sense).” Please feel free to suggest better words, and I will edit the title accordingly.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t mean to be harsh or call you out–I just wanted to make sure you didn’t think it was a malicious thing! (I don’t know what the reason is–or if there is a reason–but I would be extremely surprised if it were to be something intentionally user-hostile.)

1 Like

It’s all good, no offense taken. I realize my original post might sound sassier than I intended. My main goal was to find out if there is a specific reason and if there could be an option to add “Beeminder” to the dashboard and goal pages. (The goal page title contains the name of the goal twice.)

I have two use cases that require Beeminder in the title: using the launcher as explained and tagging website usage. I can achieve both use cases by looking for the string “felixm dashboard,” but that looks like a string that might appear in other apps.

Hence my question; I didn’t assume any user-hostile intentions.

I reflected on why I used the word “anti-pattern.” The name is somewhere in the title on most websites. We can think of that as the default pattern, and Beeminder does it differently, hence, anti-pattern. But of course, just because one website does it differently, it is not yet an anti-pattern, so I used the term wrong. I appreciate you pointing out that I wasn’t clear. (It’s another anti-pattern that proficient speakers don’t point out wrong word usage by non-native speakers because that prevents them from improving. :wink: )

Anyway, my null hypothesis was that there was no specific reason for the title string being this way. However, if there is a particular thought behind it (and the only reason I think there might be is that Dreev has a rational explanation for most things he does), then I will still donate to the charity.

2 Likes

There are plugins or extensions that can automatically rename tabs based on filters. That would probably be your quickest solution.

That’s a good idea. I will do that.

I have just realized that GitHub doesn’t put its name into the title either so that’s that. It still annoys me but since I am the only one who cares about this I give up :smiley:

1 Like

Probably this was done without a specific reason behind it. As evidence I submit that the slug (“Goal name” in settings) is repeated twice in the title of the goal page. E.g. “french | apolyton/french goal page”
An easy candidate for a #UVI @dreev :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fixed!
http://beeminder.com/changelog#4119
What do you think?

1 Like

Thank you so much!! :slight_smile: This makes me so happy and made my day. Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Look how much easier it is now to identify Beeminder activity.

2022-04-26_09-05

And you also removed the duplicated goal names!! :slight_smile:

Now we just have to wait for the people whose script depend on the old titles :wink: I apologize but this was the right thing to do.

2 Likes