Possible to set daily goals?

No need. This already exists in the form of safe days and retroratcheting.
If that just went back to working for under 2 days again, that would be all
it took and it would be awesomeness squared.

On Friday, June 27, 2014 3:31:35 PM UTC-4, Kenny Yang wrote:

maybe something like a configurable yellow brick road with max/min values
on the road (max 1 day or something)

On Friday, June 27, 2014 2:32:02 PM UTC-4, Jake Jenkins wrote:

Jumping on the bandwagon. Would really like this feature
On Jun 26, 2014 12:57 PM, “Kenny Yang” yangk...@gmail.com wrote:

I had it set up that way at first but wanted to be able to see how many
words I was writing each day and eventually change my goal to 800/day
900/day 1000/day etc. Sounds like there’s no way to do that currently
though right?

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:41:30 AM UTC-4, Brent Yorgey wrote:

By the way, if your goal is to write every day, instead of making a
road with a daily rate of 750, I suggest making one with a daily rate of 1,
and enter a data point of ‘1’ every time you write more than 750 words. A
road with a rate of 750 means you want to write 750 words per day on
average
, which is very different from the way 750words.com works.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Kenny Yang yangk...@gmail.com wrote:

That’s what I’m currently using. Just wanted to add a little sting
reinforcement :slight_smile:

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:55:11 PM UTC-4, Erica Edelman wrote:

Also, if your goal is 750 words a day, you should check you
750words.com :slight_smile:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Brent Yorgey byo...@gmail.com
wrote:

It’s a little hackish, but you can enter a negative datapoint to cut
down your safety buffer to whatever you want, and then go from there. I’ve
used that trick a few times in the past, especially for these sorts of “do
something once a day” goals.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Kenny Yang yangk...@gmail.com
wrote:

I’d like to set a daily goal of writing 750 words a day so I set
the daily rate to be 750.

When I entered my writing for today (800), it gives me 3 days
until derailment. Even with retroratchet, it cuts it down to 2 days until
derailment.

Is it possible to make it so that there’s only 1 day until
derailment so that I’m required to enter 750 everyday?

thanks!


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to akratics+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

This is done now! Here’s the weekly beemail we sent about it last
night. Eager to hear what you all think! (Especially if it throws you
off that this version will change the dates of upcoming scheduled
breaks by just shifting the whole road forward in time when you
retroratchet.)

Remember exactly a week ago when we promised a better retroratchet in
a week? [1] Well we just deployed that, with 2 hours to spare.

To review, anyone can hit Retroratchet to get rid of their safety
buffer. It makes the centerline of the yellow brick road jump to where
your current data point is. That gives you 2 days of safety buffer
(orange the next day and eep day after that, if you don’t report
anything). Configurable retroratcheting, where you say exactly how
much safety buffer you want left, is a premium feature:
beeminder.com/premium

As part of doing this we changed how retroratcheting works. It now
just shifts the whole future road forward (including your goal date).
That’s not always what you want; like if you’ve carefully scheduled
breaks on all future weekends then you better only retroratchet by a
multiple of 7 days. If this change causes you any grief, no matter how
minor, we’d really like to hear about it. (Even if our answer turns
out to be “suck it”.) Just reply to this email with your thoughts!

We’ve also made progress this week on the generalized road dial but
not ready to promise it in a week. Though if you’re curious and reply
to this email I’ll point you to our evolving functional spec. What
fun!

[1] Actually that was a daily beemail and I’m now sending this to both
daily and weekly people, so most of you don’t remember. But here it
is:

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Daniel Reeves dreeves@beeminder.com wrote:

Several people chimed in on Akratics Anonymous emphasizing how much they’d value a harsher retroratchet. Like “enough lollygagging; make it an emergency day Right Now!”

We promised we’d dive in on it this weekend but now it’s Sunday night and the only progress we’ve made is realizing what a mess the retroratchet code is. So this is me putting us firmly on the hook to fix retroratchet by next weekend!

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Daniel Reeves dreeves@beeminder.com wrote:

Wait, that will be super sad if you have to switch to lower-fidelity
metric just to work around our insufficiently harsh retroratcheting!
Maybe stand by while we see if we can fix that this weekend?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Kenny Yang yangkennyk@gmail.com wrote:

I had it set up that way at first but wanted to be able to see how many
words I was writing each day and eventually change my goal to 800/day
900/day 1000/day etc. Sounds like there’s no way to do that currently though
right?

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:41:30 AM UTC-4, Brent Yorgey wrote:

By the way, if your goal is to write every day, instead of making a road
with a daily rate of 750, I suggest making one with a daily rate of 1, and
enter a data point of ‘1’ every time you write more than 750 words. A road
with a rate of 750 means you want to write 750 words per day on average,
which is very different from the way 750words.com works.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Kenny Yang yangk...@gmail.com wrote:

That’s what I’m currently using. Just wanted to add a little sting
reinforcement :slight_smile:

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:55:11 PM UTC-4, Erica Edelman wrote:

Also, if your goal is 750 words a day, you should check you 750words.com
:slight_smile:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Brent Yorgey byo...@gmail.com wrote:

It’s a little hackish, but you can enter a negative datapoint to cut
down your safety buffer to whatever you want, and then go from there. I’ve
used that trick a few times in the past, especially for these sorts of “do
something once a day” goals.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Kenny Yang yangk...@gmail.com wrote:

I’d like to set a daily goal of writing 750 words a day so I set the
daily rate to be 750.

When I entered my writing for today (800), it gives me 3 days until
derailment. Even with retroratchet, it cuts it down to 2 days until
derailment.

Is it possible to make it so that there’s only 1 day until derailment
so that I’m required to enter 750 everyday?

thanks!


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to akratics+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


http://dreev.es – search://“Daniel Reeves”
Goal tracking + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com


http://dreev.es – search://“Daniel Reeves”
Goal tracking + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com

Awesome. Great to have the ability to force tighter retroratchet back! And
this is even better than last time cause now you can tighten it even more
than you used to.
Thanks!

On Monday, July 7, 2014 1:31:36 PM UTC-4, Daniel Reeves wrote:

This is done now! Here’s the weekly beemail we sent about it last
night. Eager to hear what you all think! (Especially if it throws you
off that this version will change the dates of upcoming scheduled
breaks by just shifting the whole road forward in time when you
retroratchet.)

Remember exactly a week ago when we promised a better retroratchet in
a week? [1] Well we just deployed that, with 2 hours to spare.

To review, anyone can hit Retroratchet to get rid of their safety
buffer. It makes the centerline of the yellow brick road jump to where
your current data point is. That gives you 2 days of safety buffer
(orange the next day and eep day after that, if you don’t report
anything). Configurable retroratcheting, where you say exactly how
much safety buffer you want left, is a premium feature:
beeminder.com/premium

As part of doing this we changed how retroratcheting works. It now
just shifts the whole future road forward (including your goal date).
That’s not always what you want; like if you’ve carefully scheduled
breaks on all future weekends then you better only retroratchet by a
multiple of 7 days. If this change causes you any grief, no matter how
minor, we’d really like to hear about it. (Even if our answer turns
out to be “suck it”.) Just reply to this email with your thoughts!

We’ve also made progress this week on the generalized road dial but
not ready to promise it in a week. Though if you’re curious and reply
to this email I’ll point you to our evolving functional spec. What
fun!

[1] Actually that was a daily beemail and I’m now sending this to both
daily and weekly people, so most of you don’t remember. But here it
is:

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Daniel Reeves <dre...@beeminder.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Several people chimed in on Akratics Anonymous emphasizing how much
they’d value a harsher retroratchet. Like “enough lollygagging; make it an
emergency day Right Now!”

We promised we’d dive in on it this weekend but now it’s Sunday night
and the only progress we’ve made is realizing what a mess the retroratchet
code is. So this is me putting us firmly on the hook to fix retroratchet by
next weekend!

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Daniel Reeves <dre...@beeminder.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Wait, that will be super sad if you have to switch to lower-fidelity
metric just to work around our insufficiently harsh retroratcheting!
Maybe stand by while we see if we can fix that this weekend?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Kenny Yang <yangk...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

I had it set up that way at first but wanted to be able to see how many
words I was writing each day and eventually change my goal to 800/day
900/day 1000/day etc. Sounds like there’s no way to do that currently
though

right?

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:41:30 AM UTC-4, Brent Yorgey wrote:

By the way, if your goal is to write every day, instead of making a
road

with a daily rate of 750, I suggest making one with a daily rate of 1,
and

enter a data point of ‘1’ every time you write more than 750 words. A
road

with a rate of 750 means you want to write 750 words per day on
average
,

which is very different from the way 750words.com works.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Kenny Yang yangk...@gmail.com
wrote:

That’s what I’m currently using. Just wanted to add a little sting
reinforcement :slight_smile:

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:55:11 PM UTC-4, Erica Edelman wrote:

Also, if your goal is 750 words a day, you should check you
750words.com

:slight_smile:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Brent Yorgey byo...@gmail.com
wrote:

It’s a little hackish, but you can enter a negative datapoint to
cut

down your safety buffer to whatever you want, and then go from
there. I’ve

used that trick a few times in the past, especially for these sorts
of "do

something once a day" goals.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Kenny Yang yangk...@gmail.com
wrote:

I’d like to set a daily goal of writing 750 words a day so I set
the

daily rate to be 750.

When I entered my writing for today (800), it gives me 3 days
until

derailment. Even with retroratchet, it cuts it down to 2 days
until

derailment.

Is it possible to make it so that there’s only 1 day until
derailment

so that I’m required to enter 750 everyday?

thanks!


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send

an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send

an email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups

“Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an

email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups

“Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an

email to akratics+u...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


http://dreev.es – search://“Daniel Reeves”
Goal tracking + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com


http://dreev.es – search://“Daniel Reeves”
Goal tracking + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to akratics+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.