Skritter Users who wanna help out?

@larsivi, @natenshon – did you all figure out the syncing thing with multiple devices?

1 Like

I think it is still having problems with a single device, I will try using
just one to skritter today and the other for tomorrow and make sure each
work.

Cheers

Drew

1 Like

Unfortunately it seems not to be getting my skritter data from my iPad or from my iPhone, here is my time from the skritter web page which doesn’t show up on my goal, is there anything I can do?

1 Like

yep, it’s only counting some of my time. It seems to be the time spent in the web client, as @natenshon says. I do most Skrittering in the iOS app. Hopefully editing the data manually will prevent losing freebees in the meantime…

1 Like

Talking to one user, it sounds like they were working offline on their iPad while traveling away from regular internet, and it was just a design problem on our end that we didn’t check for data for previous days once they did finally sync the app upon returning home. @dobbsbob & @natenshon does it sound like this could explain the discrepancies you’re seeing?

I will try re-pulling the last week’s data.

B

1 Like

Mine was on iPad connected to WIfi or iPhone with active cellular
connection. Could it be that there is a different property being checked as
mine does show up in the skritter progress log?

1 Like

@bee My phone is on Wifi. It hasn’t been gone for an extended period.

The new data is correct, though a couple points (June 13 & 14, out of 11-16) are still from manual input.

1 Like

My data for a whole bunch of back days just showed up which is really nice :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

Yesterday is showing 0.16916666666666666 (Last fetch: about 5 hours ago.)

Should be 0.77…

1 Like

My data seems to show up in lumps, for instance all my data through the 14h showed up, but all the data since then isn’t there, could there be some sort of weekly reconcilation or some such, as the skritter graph seems to be up to date

but my goal doesn’t show the progress https://www.beeminder.com/natenshon/goals/skillacquistionsk

1 Like

TL;DR:

Are minutes what counts as points for Beeminder?

Hello!

I’m a Skritter user and had to recently delete my goal because for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what a data point was.

I started out using Beeminder to clear up around 2400 words that I needed to review and went ahead setting 2400 points to be done in a week.
I had the buffer week cut because previously I was able to do that many words in just a few days, so a one week goal already had plenty of buffer built-in.

Needless to say I barely scratched the surface of that goal with daily averages of around 20 points, and I was heading straight for derailment even though, as predicted I did manage to finish all my words in just a few days.

Now after discovering this thread, it appears that Beeminder tracks time spent studying not words reviewed/learnt.
Which is not really representative for advanced learners who can cover way more words than a beginner in a given amount of time.

Anyway, please let me know if that’s the case and what counts are minutes not words, and I will start a new goal.

Thank you!

2 Likes

@emanuel good catch! The blog post says ‘time’, but the wizard page says ‘points’.

disclaimer: I’m not a skritter user, so I only see what an unauth’d user sees on the wizard page.

Beeminder is also useful for tracking other important goals… If you haven’t found it yet, we’ve also got a forum section for newbees and the Newbee Guide on the blog. Insights from new users are especially valuable to hear, so I’m really very glad for your post.

[tagging for @bee, co-founder and resident techno-goddess]

1 Like

Ah yes, @emanuel the wizard is inconsistent! The description says “so we can fetch your points”, but in the form you fill out we ask for “minutes of studying per day”. Thanks for catching the error! I’ve adjusted it to be self-consistent now.

We’re tracking time spent because it’s a concrete action. So while the thing that you ultimately want is the outcome of learning new words, the amount of time you spend reviewing is the thing that you have direct control over. I think that the Anki plugin that sends data to beeminder tracks total number of reviews done, and that might perhaps be a slightly tighter metric to track than time, but is less directly available in the api output.

Bethany

1 Like

I’m still not really clear on why it is that people are having this issue with the servers not having the study info when we query at the end of the day, since it sounds like it’s happening when people are definitely connected as well, or even sometimes when they’re studying online (and not the iOS app)?

But, I’ve put in a stop-gap where we now always recheck the last 4 days of data as well as today. So depending on why this is consistently being a problem for people, this may not completely solve it, but it seems like for most people it will make it mostly go away.

Bethany

2 Likes