Hard-committing to the next batch of autodata integrations

We’ve been slower than we’d like to be on integrations, averaging a bit less than one per month lately. We almost got ourselves on the hook for another hard deadline but then remembered the admonition from you all not to do that again.

So instead we got ourselves on the hook on the Skritter forum in a more beemindery way. Here’s the important part:

We got slightly telephone-gamed on the “promised by end of January” thing BUT you are totally right that, come on, we’re Beeminder! So we have the next best thing:

I hereby promise that we’ll launch official Skritter integration before anything else except ones we’ve already started on (Epson/Seiko, Garmin, IFTTT, and Misfit – all of which we hope we can do in January, but now that it’s January 10 we’re noticing that’s not realistic).

AND I hereby promise that Bethany (our CTO) will spend 20 hours/week on the pending integrations (including Skritter) until they’re all launched. Here’s her Beeminder graph to prove it: autod – b – beeminder

But wait there’s more! Every derailment she coughs up on we’ll pay out to you. Yes, you. :slight_smile: We’ll figure out the details the first time it happens but the pledge schedule is $5, $10, $30, $90, $270, $810.

Launched Integrations

1. Withings
  2. Gmail aka gmailzero.com
  3. GreenGoose (deadpool :cry:)
  4. Trello aka trellominder.com
  5. Fitbit
  6. RunKeeper
  7. RescueTime
  8. GitHub aka gitminder.com
  9. Duolingo
  10. Jawbone UP
  11. Draft
  12. Tasker
  13. TagTime on Android
  14. Code School
  15. GTBee
  16. Twitter
  17. Habitica (formerly HabitRPG)
  18. Zapier aka zapminder.com
  19. Sleep as Android
  20. Epson/Seiko
  21. Garmin
  22. IFTTT aka ifthisMINDthat.com
  23. Misfit
  24. Skritter
  25. Complice.co
  26. URLminder
  27. Todoist
  28. Apple Health

Third-Party Integrations

1. Electronic Rosary (iOS)
  2. Strava
  3. Strict Workflow
  4. Zenobase
  5. Beemind.me for Pocket, a different way to beemind Trello, Google Fit, Typeracer, and Quizlet

Beemindable via IFTTT or Zapier

1. Pocket (both IFTTT and Zapier)
  2. GoodReads (IFTTT)
  3. BitBucket (Zapier)
  4. Todoist (both IFTTT and Zapier)
  5. Toodledo (both IFTTT and Zapier)
  6. Facebook (IFTTT) for counting posts (optionally w/ specific tags)
  7. Dropbox (both IFTTT and Zapier) for counting new files or photos
  8. Instagram (IFTTT)
  9. Youtube (IFTTT) for counting videos posted
  10. Flickr (IFTTT)
  11. Blogger (IFTTT)
  12. Buffer (IFTTT) for counting posts buffered
  13. Tumblr (IFTTT) for counting posts
  14. Wordpress.com (IFTTT) for counting posts
  15. Foursquare/Swarm (IFTTT) for counting checkins or checkins in categories
  16. Beeminder (IFTTT) for counting beemergencies or datapoints added to other Beeminder graphs
  17. Harvest (IFTTT)
  18. Delicious (IFTTT)
  19. Google Calendar (IFTTT)
  20. Reddit (IFTTT) for counting comments or posts
  21. Fiverr (IFTTT) for counting tasks outsourced
  22. ProjectManager (Zapier)
  23. [IFTTT and Zapier add channels pretty rapaciously so this list will keep growing]
  24. Strava

Upcoming and Candidate Integrations

1. Toggl (various unofficial ways to do this currently but deserves an official integration!)
  2. Strava (working 3rd-party app already thanks to Seth Herr of bikeindex.org)
  3. Sandy Maguire’s github.com/beeminder/faceminder (Facebook)
  4. Nick Winter’s CodeCombat.com
  5. Moves
  6. Complice.co (3rd-party integration already working)
  7. Khan Academy and/or Udacity and/or Coursera (Khan looks easiest)
  8. MyFitnessPal (need them to accept our application as API partner)
  9. Google Calendar (open API)
  10. Exist.io (very cool, open company – we admire the founders a lot)
  11. Toodledo which productivity guru Michael Linenberger is involved with (open API)
  12. iPhone Health
  13. Medisafe
  14. Mint (golden brick roads! haven’t looked into this yet)
  15. Lumosity.com
  16. Scrivener
  17. MyNetDiary
  18. Gleeo Time Tracker
  19. ONE OF THE MYRIAD POMODORO TRACKERS (eg, Strict Workflow, Forest, KanbanFlow)
  20. Google Keep
  21. Endomondo (also has a nice Pebble app)
  22. 750words
  23. Fitocracy
  24. Pebble
  25. Google Drive
  26. Day One Journal App
  27. Anki
  28. Memrise
  29. AnyMemo
  30. Workflowy
  31. Wunderlist
  32. Coach.me previously known as Lift.do
  33. RememberTheMilk – Paul Fenwick does this via Exobrain
  34. kSafe (Kickstarter canceled)
  35. Google Fit (open API)
  36. CodeWars
  37. Oral-B’s new connected toothbrush
  38. Droplet (Kickstarter canceled)
  39. WeMo
  40. iHealth scale
  41. BodyTrace scale
  42. Nike+ app
  43. Adidas miCoach
  44. Striiv
  45. Azumio
  46. DailyBurn
  47. Basis
  48. Placeme
  49. MS HealthVault
  50. Google Tasks
  51. Yousician
  52. Udemy
  53. Beeminder itself aka Metamind
  54. ChessAcademy
  55. HabitBull
  56. Wakatime
  57. Project Euler (@insti started working on this)
  58. Gingko App (suggested by @seantoddmahoney)
  59. Online Go Server (suggested by user)

Above is a tentative ordering. We’ll continue to add to this based on your suggestions (also migrating the list from Uservoice)…

8 Likes

Damn it, if Beeminder integrates with Skritter then I’ll have to start learning Chinese.

Sidenote, I’m a big vote for MyFitnessPal calorie integration.

I’d also be interested in Sunsprite integration and while I have no idea how it would work, I’m currently pondering integration with the Basis Peak and it’s galvanic skin response tracking.

1 Like

An integration with IFTTT will be so fucking awesome. So many things already have “send email to beeminder bot” that it makes no sense not to have an official way to work with it.

3 Likes

+1 to MyFitnessPal (to include food calories logged, not just net calories)
+1 to IFTTT

Zapier + IFTTT cover a large swath, not everything obviously.

And thanks so much for the Draft integration a while back… :smile:

1 Like

Any chance of progress on subcategories of RescueTime?

2 Likes

I’d like to add my personal “thumbs up” to the idea of having MyNetDiary on your list. For those who haven’t used it, it’s somewhat similar to MyFitnessPal (another very good nutrition/fitness tracking app) but I personally like MyNetDiary a bit better, mostly because it seems quicker and easier to enter food info after I eat. Functionally, the two have a rather similar feature set on paper, but a good UI can make the difference between food logging being simple (which makes me more likely to do it right away) versus a bit tedious (which makes me more likely to say “oh, I’ll do it later when I have time” which then never happens). Thanks for adding it to your list!

2 Likes

A vote for Gleeo Time Tracker. It’s a modetely popular Android time tracker app at 100-500k downloads and rating of 4.7 stars on average. It’s strikes a really good balance between featureset and simplicity. Interface is really well thought out too. Would be perfect for Beeminder :slight_smile:

1 Like

+Strava
+MyFitnessPal
+Mint
+Goodreads

1 Like

I see the first derail has occurred! Have you worked out those payment details?

I also wanted to make a note that I’m really interested in having the Beeminder IFTTT integration go both ways. I’m actually more excited about having things happen when I add data to my goals rather than having things add data to my goals. I think I’m more motivated to log things in Beeminder because I’ll get charged if I don’t but I still want those things recorded in other places. IFTTT would make that nice and easy.

If you supported tags in the data comments then umbrella goals like productive time could feed subdata into subgoals. So I log all my time in the productive time goal with comments tagged with the subcategory. “If I add data tagged with #project1 to Beeminder goal ‘productive time’ then update Beeminder goal ‘project 1’”

3 Likes

We have! We actually paid the first $5 twice, once to the first person to reply to my beemail about it and once to the person who dibs’d it on the Skritter forum. (I felt bad about not having nailed down the rules so I just paid it double. From now on it’s the first one to call us out!)

Great point about IFTTT triggers as well as actions. Did you know you can do this now with our webhook/callback feature (nerdery required)? As far as I know, @philip is the only one currently hardcore enough to have Beeminder goals automatically feeding other Beeminder goals. You’re right that IFTTT triggers+actions would open up such hardcore-itude to the masses! Really glad you mentioned this!

How? I’m currently doing this by having the API enter the point in all of the relevant goals on entry, but if there is a post-api, more Beemindery way to do this, I’d love to know it. Have had layered goals for a long time and this would make them easier to manage would be great.

(Sorry for the temporary hijack)

2 Likes

See this thread: Webhook/Callback documentation?

1 Like

Ah, yes, @chipmanaged gets special mention here even if it doesn’t technically count as automatically populating one Beeminder goal from another. (Or does it? I’d like to know about the details!)

But as @philip’s pointing out (by pointing to that other thread), I have in mind using Beeminder’s webhook/callback feature to trigger a program of your own when data is added to a Beeminder goal, and then that program in turn adds data automatically to another Beeminder goal.

Actually, it sounds like @chipmanaged’s system is even more sophisticated and doesn’t need Beeminder’s callback feature simply because she has her own custom interface for entering data.

In any case, @chipmanaged and @philip are both harder core beeminders than me!

1. there’s $40 of unclaimed derailments on my autod goal… I’m up to $90 pledged now, with two unclaimed derails.

2. If you were paying close attention to this road (which apparently you’re not, see (1) :-P) you’d notice that I’ve got a section of shallower road coming up. That’s because I’m going on a trip and I’ve dialed my meta road down by half, and consequently my autod road as well. I figure this is legit since I’m fairly sure what I originally agreed to with Danny was: “I’ll spend half of my time on auto data stuff.”

3. Danny and I had some small bit of debate about whether I ought to count time spent maintaining existing integrations toward this goal. I’m certain that I want to know how much total time is spent on autodata code, including maintaining existing ones, so I definitely do want to track that time, but I guess it’s still an open question whether it should count toward this commitment. What do you think?

2 Likes

Time spent maintaining existing integrations does not make progress toward new integrations so I would not count it as part of this goal.

However I’m not sure it’s fair that the list of new integrations keeps growing, so dialling down the new integration time after you’ve finished the initial 25(?) seems allowable.

Measuring total time spent on integrations is probably a job for tagtime and need not necessarily be minded.

1 Like

Time spent making sure that integrations actually work totally counts. q.v. our commitment to not putting ourselves on the hook for any big features. Beemindees have a high utility for a stable working service, particularly (I suspect) when it comes to the dark and mysterious edges of integrating with other data sources.

The alternative seems to be a slippery slope of new-for-new’s-sake, quality agnosticism, and inefficient work practices (because we’re counting time, not outcomes). Not that any of those seem likely, but this commitment may as well get the benefit of, say, time spent streamlining and refactoring autod, seeing as it’s impacted by the malefit (from the perspective of wanting-to-take more time) of smoother future integrations.

Bottom line: I think we’ll churn through the wish-list faster if we include everything auto-data-related in this goal.

PS: “half of my time” sounds perfectly reasonable. Let this example of related road changes be a spur to getting Beeminder-as-autod-source on the wish-list.

1 Like

Since you’re all too polite to yell dibs on Bee’s money we’ll take @insti as having done so, being the first to reply and obviously up to speed on this whole thread. [And done, $40 on the way to @insti.]

I’m not sure how I feel about this “20 hours/week actually meant half whatever my total time is” thing. I mean, yes, I’m sure Bee’s correct, but we already claimed one telephone game exemption and this time the telephone game problem was entirely our fault.

On the other hand, I know there was a bunch of time on old autodata bugfixes and maintenance that Bee didn’t count initially so maybe it’s all working out fairly. In any case the spirit of the commitment seems intact.

PS: The bmndr.com/b/autod commitment is just for Garmin, IFTTT, Misfit, and Skritter (and Epson, now launched). We’ll keep forging ahead after that too but may reassess the steepness of the yellow brick road or put more focus on making it easier for third parties to contribute integrations.

Hey Dan! While I would much rather have the Skritter integration…as a trade off I would love to claim your money (@joeymac1981 on Beeminder and @马洲屹 on Skritter). Here is hoping that the $90 acts as a sufficient motivation :smile:…Good luck!/加油!

1 Like

(: To be clear, it’s the first person to notice after we derail. $5, $10, and $30 have been paid and we’re skating the edge (bmndr.com/b/autod) on the $90!

Cool – I am happy with that – I’ll keep an eye out :slight_smile:

However, as much as I love money…I don’t want you to derail!

1 Like