So apparently IFTTT limits you to 3 applets now...

Unless you want to pay. If you do, they’re letting you set your own price for the first year.

If you don’t, I’m happy to help folks create jobs in Android Automate.

On the plus side, maybe this means they’ll feel less of a need to pinch the companies that provide the services for their revenue?

3 Likes

Argh, that’s seriously annoying.

So far it seems (?) like they’re grandfathering existing applets. So I don’t lose all my existing applets. But it’s definitely not letting me create any more.

I’ll have to check out Automate. Do you happen to know if it will let me e.g. react to new rows being added to a Google Sheet (assuming I have the Sheets app installed on my phone)?

3 Likes

I don’t believe they’re grandfathering your existing applets for long. I think they will only continue working for the next 4 weeks.

2 Likes

I don’t think they have that feature built in. On Reddit someone recommended using the HTTP request block with the Google Sheets API. I use the HTTP request block to interface with Beeminder.

1 Like

It looks as though free users will be able to use an unlimited number of brand-published recipes. I’m not 100% sure what the limitations on these will be but I’m looking into it and have sent an email to IFTTT to get a few more details! I hope to have more to say soon.

3 Likes

My “new facebook post to beeminder” ifttt stopped working the last few days (just noticed). The status of the applet was “connected” but clicking on “check now” was giving an error. After a couple clicks on the “connect” button it is now claiming that it is both connected to FB and that checks are running correctly.

If Beeminder is to continue using IFTTT (and since you’re paying them for it!) perhaps you could see about adding some “official Beeminder” recipes? Otherwise new users will mostly not use the IFTTT integration thanks to this new limit of 3 “personal” recipes.

1 Like

There are a couple already, I believe, but yes, this is our plan! But @mary wants to check first what our limitations are… if we can only make a certain number, for instance, then we want to choose carefully.

1 Like

Has anybody made up their mind as regards to going pro or going with an alternative? I looked into huggin as a self hosted alternative (doesn’t have a beeminder “agent” yet though), but when taking hosting costs and maintaining effort into account taking advantage of the 1.99$ pro sale at the moment seems almost worth it.

EDIT: I have now sprung for it. I’d still be interested to hear what you guys are doing.

2 Likes

Appleton, none of this should be affecting applets yet, so I don’t know what the Facebook connection issue was.

My Instagram to Beeminder applet needs to be reconnected nearly weekly. IFTTT claims that the pro plan “will come with customer support!” which may explain the quality of the support I’ve gotten so far :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I just signed up for the $1.99 for now, since 34 of my 48 IFTTT applets are self-created. 12 of those are for sending data to Beeminder goals. Of my 11 current goals, 6 are currently getting data from ToDoist via IFTTT. ALL of my ToDoist goals are recurring (e.g., practice a musical instrument daily, do 5 min of decluttering 2x daily) and would be a pain to reenter each time to make the Beeminder integration work.

So basically I’m asking: does this IFTTT change make fixing the ToDoist direct integration code to work with recurring tasks more likely?

3 Likes

On the other hand, Pro folks will be able to filter data again! https://help.ifttt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052451954-Building-with-filter-code

(They used to have this for free via a different thing that we had talked about previously on the forum, but have removed it)

2 Likes

So they now have this offer. 1.99$ per month, minimum.
I signed up. Despite feeling that they have mishandled how they introduced subscriptions, it’s been of value for a lot of years for free, so they get a second chance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They just sent out an email saying the price you set before October 7 will be honored forever. Tempting… :thinking:

Yeah, well, even after geting the Pro account, my Facebook applets still continue to not work.
Not even after creating a new applet (sorry, “recipe”…)

Used their “Help” function

Thanks for reaching out
Someone will get back to you soon

Let’s how that goes…

Aaaaaand it started working all of the sudden, triggering for posts of the last 3 weeks :smiley:
Screenshot from 2020-09-19 19-18-47

3 Likes

I thought I saw somewhere that the price of $1.99 would only be for a year?
Looking into Integromat (anyone tried it?) but moving all 77 custom ifttts will be a hassle. Probably something to beemind :smile:

1 Like

I think their original email said something like that. But quoting a later email (sent September 17):

You spoke, we listened. No more confusion on the length of IFTTT Pro pricing. Set your price before October 7th and we’ll honor it, forever.

2 Likes

Integromat created and posted a Beeminder integration last week. I checked it out–it’s not as full featured as the IFTTT one, although, Integromat as a whole is quite awesome.

They seem super responsive to feedback. If you need something that isn’t in the Integromat integration, let them know!

3 Likes

It has no beeminder triggers (cannot watch beeminder for added data point). Only beeminder actions. Hopefully they will add that in the future.

2 Likes