Suggested Addition to Hover Text

At the top of a beeminder graph page there’s a line that says, for example, “+1 due in 2d 13h 04m or pay $1”. Hovering over the big blue “2d 13h 04m” pops up a box that says “Due at 0:00am UTC, 00:00 GMT”. It’d be more useful if that included “on Sunday” or something in its text, which is what I was looking for as counting two days ahead was something my brain was keen to outsource so it could concentrate on what it was supposed to actually be doing.

3 Likes

Good suggestion! Did you notice you can click on that line and it should switch to telling you the day and time instead of the countdown? (Non-rhetorical question! I’ve been arguing that no one knows to click that thing and it’s a terrible design choice so if you say no then that’s great ammunition for my case. :))

3 Likes

Not that you asked me, but I tend to agree that there’s room for improvement there…

3 Likes

Have some ammunition! I had absolutely no clue that clicking that label, which doesn’t look like a link or a button to me, would do anything.

3 Likes

OK, that’s neat, and my brain is happy with its newfound outsourcing.

I hadn’t realised the +1 and $1 bits of the headline were buttons either.
I can see theses are styled the same as the other buttons on the page now I know they are but that wasn’t enough to clue me in before sorry!

Nearly all the other buttons in the same style have “do something” commands for their text, “add progress”, “update”, “delete” etc and usually some input to go with them so they look like a form submit button. One that doesn’t is the pledge amount and that’s in a box by itself and underlined so it looks like a link, so it’s clear you can try to click on it. Maybe just underlining the button text in the headline would help? (Though it might not look great I guess.)

3 Likes

Did you notice you can click on that line and it should switch to telling you the day and time instead of the countdown?

As someone who did know that, I agree that it doesn’t at all look like something you can interact with. In fact I have no idea how I discovered the behavior.

3 Likes