The Glorious November by aard

Beeminding TODOs

I’ve never been a “todo list” person, despite wanting to be one. “One must do” goals haven’t worked very well, either.

I think two reasons played into this:

• Manual data entry
  • Bad feelings / getting overwhelmed

I’ve been meaning to get better at this. So, about a month ago, I figured I’d give it another shot.

Goal 1: next

This is a goal that gets a +1 each time I do either of the following on tasks tagged with next in Todoist.

• I check off a task
  • Give it an honest attempt for >5 mins, but don’t complete the task

I have a rule to keep this focused: Nothing that I’m Beeminding separately (e.g. running, but also things like watering plants) don’t go into Todoist.

So far, it’s been set to 0.25 task/day, just to get myself started. Now I’m entering a period with 0.42 task/day. I’ll stick to this for a while and see how it goes.

Goal 2: Inbox zero

I use Todoist’s inbox to capture anything. This has been great.

I often experience surges of interest in things: books, articles, blog posts, podcast episodes, random project ideas, etc… This surge is especially powerful when I should rather be working on something that gives me an ugh-y feeling.

I addressed that by using my Todoist Inbox very liberally. These days, I’ll click an interesting link, or end up a Wikipedia page that I want to read, then hopefully realize what I’m doing and move it into the Todoist Inbox, instead of using my “interest” to avoid stuff.)

I still want my Todoist Inbox to stay useful. So I empty this weekly:

By emptying, I mean just the act of making sure the Inbox is empty. Anything counts: moving tasks to a Todoist Project, deleting, or actually consuming the content.

Until now, this has been great because I get to (1) hoard things as I desire (2) not use them as excuses to avoid other things.

Help: how to freshen Todoist?

I believe Todoist doesn’t have a “last modified” field for tasks :frowning: So freshening it is pretty difficult. Anyone with tips?

2 Likes