The Great Archiving

I am about to archive most of my goals. Though I am not leaving. I am going to use boss as a service paired with Beeminder. So most of my goals will remain but will have my boss keep track via my shared Todoist list. It will provide some flexibility too as I will have specific rules on when I can skip a goal. But kind of like the old weasel proofing I will need to provide my boss proof.

I think this will work out nicely but can always I bring back goals if it does not work out.

Has anyone else done this method?

4 Likes

It usually takes more than just Beeminder to keep me on track to actual goals.

When putting a new system in place, I also create one or more Beeminder goals to remind me to make use of the system. A kind of meta-goal, if you will.

e.g. I’ve just started using TaskRatchet (which reminds me, gotta go tick off those commitments!) and so also created a Beeminder goal to ensure that I’m regularly creating tasks there.

Mark Forster reminds us that it’s very easy to break a new system by overloading it, so go gently.

My current set-up uses a few services:

• Beeminder for ongoing accountability, regular progress, mindful meta-system, etc
  • TaskRatchet for enforcing specific external commitments
  • Exist.io for trends and tracking (this has replaced a number of my Beeminder goals and/or duplicates some of the data feeds)
  • Things3 for GTD-style todo list
  • Roam Research for the detail and thinking and planning behind those

I’m also a big fan of placing physical reminders in my environment. What task was I supposed to be focussing on? Does the recycling need to go out? Plan to forget, people!

6 Likes