UI: Should the numbers in the Bare Min box of odometer goals be absolute rather than relative?

I think showing the single transition with the colored circles is going to make this so much more comprehensible to newbees that it’s worth doing, even though I agree that sometimes it’s nice to see a bit further ahead. If @bee can come up with something that lets you click to show more upcoming transitions that’ll be great but I’m not sure it’s top priority if that proves tricky.

Instead I have a new proposal for getting almost the best of all worlds! A table like so in the sidebar:

Amounts Due By Day
-----------------------
today        ✓   117   # checkmark's orange since you're orange once safe today
tomorrow     ✓   120   # checkmark is blue cuz you're blue if safe tomorrow
Sat  (6th)   +3  123   # checkmark or in this case numbers are green
Sun  (7th)   +6  126   # green
Mon  (8th)   +9  129   # green
Tue  (9th)  +12  132   # green
Wed (10th)  +15  135   # green
Thu (11th)  +18  138   # if you make it here you're immune to the akrasia horizon
   (daily Δ = 3)

EDIT: That table, about a dozen times. At first I wanted to label it “To Be Safe Till…” or “To Be Safe Thru…” but either of those ended up confusing. Then I had the columns in the opposite order, where it would be like “+3 due by today” but ended up liking the days in the first column. Anyway, that was an embarrassing amount of fussery for what in retrospect looks perfectly straightforward!

8 Likes

Yeah, future transitions are hardly critical, since I do my own calculations therein pretty easily.

That sidebar info would be very cool.

1 Like

Showing both total and relative numbers all the time is the best!

2 Likes

Just had a look at the Show Everything deployment. Looks great! Somehow, seeing the forest and the trees juxtaposed on all the goals is even more encouraging. I am feeling pretty good about my progress… Thanks!

(+ shouldn’t this count as today’s UVI?)

2 Likes

Not sure about the checkmark hiding the values, can it maybe appear in the first column?

Amount Due By Day
---------------------
   ✓ -3  117  by today      # line is orange since you're orange once safe today
   ✓  0  120  by tomorrow   # line is blue cuz you're blue if safe tomorrow
     +3  123  by Sat  (6th) # line is green
     +6  126  by Sun  (7th) # green
     +9  129  by Mon  (8th) # green
    +12  132  by Tue  (9th) # green
    +15  135  by Wed (10th) # green
    +18  138  by Thu (11th) # if you make it here you're immune to the akrasia horizon
2 Likes

Yes! This would be fantastic.

1 Like

Voila! The helpful table [tm] is live.

Here’s our to-do list for cleaning it up a bit, and @bee is close to deploying the traffic-light style baremin/hardcap thing above the graph (thanks to the Helpful Table there’ll be no loss of information!)…

1. probably “amounts due by day” should just be the black header
  2. add “daily Δ” at bottom of dueby table?
  3. remove parens on day of month
  4. throw in more stats like “AVG RATE” in “goal stats” (bb:ravg – which is average road rate, not average data rate, but better than nothing for now) and maybe change “goal stats” to “stats & data” since it should be more about the data rather than the yellow brick road
  5. “amounts due” -> “hard caps” for do-less, etc
  6. suppress absolute numbers if “hide y-axis” is true. better suppress the whole thing actually.
  7. for “CUR RATE” in Stats, show both daily and weekly, and runits-ly (if runits != daily or weekly)
5 Likes

By the way, some thousands separators would be nice. As an example, see my steps numbers here
https://www.beeminder.com/apolyton/goals/vivofit

2 Likes

Yay thanks. This is awesome! :stars:

I find this really helpful for planning when I’m going to work on my goals and making sure I have enough buffer for when I need to take a day (or weekend) off.

3 Likes

Maybe thousands separator should be an eventual number format setting in goal options. I don’t know if everyone cares for a thousands separator, and the appropriate separation convention differs by region.

But they certainly make sense in @apolyton’s case (and prob also in case of at least a couple of my goals)

Anyway: yay info sidebar! Yay circles!

5 Likes

Should the rows of the helpful table be coloured by which road you are / will be in?

It seems odd that I am in the green today and have ticks all the way down the table,
but it still shows yellow, blue, green for today, tomorrow and the day after.

1 Like