UI: Bare minimum traffic light

Continuing the discussion from UI: Should the numbers in the Bare Min box of odometer goals be absolute rather than relative?:

Liking the new traffic light style bare minimum indicator. :vertical_traffic_light:

It might be nice to show the current and required road values under the circles with just the bare minimum value in between.
Hereā€™s a quick mockup:

3 Likes

iā€™m also getting this now :slight_smile:

what are you guys doing? :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, so the ā€œtraffic lightsā€ show up on ā€œdo moreā€ and the ā€œdeltaā€ shows on my ā€œdo lessā€

2 Likes

Small report: On do-less goals, ā€œThe hard cap you can do today before hitting the redā€ is showing up in red instead of orange for times when the datapoint is orange.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s correct: itā€™s the distance-to-red, so is in in red regardless of what lane youā€™re in.

1 Like

It seems a bit strange to see the value of the road displayed in parenthesis when the number is actually positive.

1 Like

Also, IMHO the traffic light doesnā€™t properly display the ā€œthis goal needs no more work to succeedā€ case because it shows a ā€œbare minā€ which is misleading.

2 Likes

green -> green is an interesting case.

The options I can think of right now are:

1. Show green -> +dayrate -> green as the Bare Min (like now)
  2. Show green -> +dayrate -> green but label it as something else. (ā€œCoasting valueā€, ā€œConsistency Rateā€, ā€œSuggested Amountā€, ā€œRDAā€, Something better.)
  3. Show green -> 0 -> green as the Bare minimum

I like option 2, which shows the bare minimum to stay the same distance from the road. I like to keep my safety buffers[1] from decreasing.

Anyone else have other options / alternate label suggestions?

[1] When I have them.

But what colour will it be when itā€™s over, then? How will they be distinguished visually?

2 Likes

I agree with chipmangaged here, ā€œDo lessā€ roads still have lanes so the delta should be coloured according to the lane you are currently in.

1 Like

Well, my particular goal is even trickier because the road is flat. So none of the options you listed in #2 apply. Although maybe a better question is why it shows ā€œBare min +20.4ā€ when the road is flat forever.

2 Likes

@mary orange is the new red! (-:

@insti itā€™s not the lane youā€™re in, itā€™s the commensurate danger of derailment

If we can think of do more lane colours as usefully canonical, then the red of an eep! day is a signal that you need to actively do something today in order to stay on track. Analogously for a do less goal, when Iā€™m in the wrong lane (orange) I need to actively not do (too much of) something today in order to stay on track. I find the lane colours misleading for do less goals, because by the time itā€™s gone red, itā€™s too late.

@mary the answer to your actual question turns out to be ā€˜nothing usefulā€™
I just added a false datapoint to one of my do less goals to make it red, and it unhelpfully looks not much different to if I were 0.3 units into the orange: Ī” -0.3

1 Like

When I have too many emails in my inbox I can still process them and get below my do-less limit.
Do less is not always about doing less.

2 Likes

Right, and even beyond aggday Beeminder doesnā€™t have the information about whether negative data points are valid for a particular goal. So thereā€™s no way to know whether a goal is recoverable or not.

4 Likes

Tricky - thatā€™s inbox-fewer, rather than do-less.
Plus the difficulty of monotonic and non-monotonic data. And as @drtall says, whether negative datapoints are kosher.
Traditional do-less goals would require you to un-eat a doughnut or something equally infeasible in order to get back on the road. So by the time youā€™re in the wrong lane, itā€™s too late to do anything about it.

1 Like

I would maintain they are both do less, but one of them has aggday min and the other is aggday sum. Simply asking whether yaw is 1 or -1 is not enough to tell you whether new data points can rescue you from a derail.

When you say ā€œtraditional do lessā€ I think you mean ā€œdrinkerā€ per the table in the API?

2 Likes

yes, ā€˜drinkerā€™ is the old ā€˜do lessā€™, in the sense of ā€˜set a limitā€™.

And yes, it may not be possible to deduce from the goalā€™s settings whether itā€™s possible to claw your way back onto the road. When it you can actively get yourself back onto the road, then the ā€˜do moreā€™ colouring makes sense to me.

I probably spend too much time worrying about the types of goal that you canā€™t actively do anything to get yourself back on the road. It may even be best not to create that kind of goal in the first place.

(gosh, this is an active thread; a clear sign that itā€™s worth getting these things right(er). violent agreement abounds.)

1 Like

The colour becomes uninformative then, though. Time of day goals with kyoom turned off, as an example. Especially if youā€™re tightening that road and need to be earlier and earlier from one day to the next (sleep early, work early, whatever). Itā€™s likely always to be red, then, whether youā€™re over or not, so the colour provides no information whatsoever and youā€™re squinting on your iPhone to see if thereā€™s a minus or not.

That leaves out some other cases too, Iā€™m sure. I know some are tracking net calories, for example, where someone could workout to eek back under. There should really be some way to differentiate, at a glance, the situation where youā€™re over vs when youā€™re not.

2 Likes

(Sorry my replies have been out of step with the timing of the full thread. Was answering on email and replying to one post at a time, so was behind and answering things people had already touched on before me.)

1 Like

Question: how do I find out by how many units Iā€™m over my minimum? I occasionally use the amount by which Iā€™m over my work goal to squirrel away time off by subtracting time from the work goal and adding it to the time off goal (with comments for QS purposes). It doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s anywhere to see how much Iā€™m above the red anymore, though. (Used to be available via mouseover.)

1 Like