Understanding hard cap numbers for do less goals

For a do less goal, what precisely does each number mean? E.g. The orange number - if I exceeded that, would that mean I’m in the red and will therefore (this being a do less goal) lose today?
(That’s my guess, but that interpretation wasn’t clear to me until I started writing out this question.)

3 Likes

correct! and the green/blue numbers indicate your cap before exiting each of those areas of the road.

(the green/blue “lanes” are a little irrelevant, though, unless you have PPRs on - the PPRs are designed to move you “up” by width of one lane per day. so blue -> orange -> red in 2 datapoints. it’s tricky cause you could really derail any day on most do-less goals, if you do enough of the thing.)

1 Like

Er, but you won’t actually derail for going into the red if you’re into the red by less than your daily limit. But you can’t use this cheat on two days in a row. See Please don’t let me cheat on “do less” goals! for details.

1 Like

The loophole makes a lot of sense, when you think about how it works, but spreading this knowledge might not be helping people

1 Like

Maybe, but I also feel that if Beeminder is set up such that knowing how it works prevents you from using it best, it is broken and needs fixing. :-/

5 Likes

Yes, definitely; this needs to be fixed! Just have to do it in a way that doesn’t screw over people who are used to it (myself included)…

1 Like

Of course. I didn’t mean to suggest the fix was trivial. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t you look at when the goal is created? Then at least all the new goals get the right behaviour?

1 Like