Goal pages hanging in Chrome?

I restarted Chrome this morning and it helpfully updated itself to the most recent version – Version 54.0.2840.71 (64-bit) – and now my dashboard is hanging in Chrome only. Works fine in Safari, but in Chrome it hangs until I get a “Page unresponsive: kill / wait” dialog. I even tried creating a new user, and the dashboard hangs for the new user with no goals.

Anyone else on the latest version of chrome having similar problems?

2 Likes

So I got myself over my immediate terror at anything interfering with my ability to Beemind my goals tomorrow and installed the new Chrome so I could test this. (After making sure Safari was working for me, natch.)

I’m not having any issues at all, same version of Chrome. I am still on OS X 10.11.5, though, so if you’ve upgraded to 10.12 already, that’s possibly useful data. (ETA: or if, you know, you’re on a different OS altogether.)

Dashboard opened fine, sorted via headers fine, went to existing goals fine. Also went to “create new goal” fine, that process worked fine. Adding data point to new goal on goal page worked fine, and adding in expanded view from dashboard worked fine. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like me to check.

1 Like

Looks fine to me too. Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 (64-bit), Mac OS 10.12 (16A323). Maybe one of your extensions?

1 Like

Thanks for confirming I’m crazy :slight_smile: – I cleared my entire cache (instead of just clearing the beeminder cookies and local storage), and that finally fixed it.

2 Likes

Spoke too soon – I saw this problem too. Like you, clearing cookies, cache and local storage made it work again, but it looks like you have a bug.

1 Like

I still haven’t had any problems (also still on OS X 10.11.5)—but I note that the website appears to be down for me right now, in both Chrome and Safari.

Chews on fingernails, desperately hoping it’s not just me

Oh, whew

1 Like

Blow-by-blow happening at http://twitter.com/beemstat – thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Yikes. This is (presumably) unrelated to the current downtime but does anyone have an idea where to begin debugging this crazy Chrome thing? Cc @apb

I ran into a crazy chrome thing on our state health insurance exchange website this week. It was due to the combination of macOS Sierra and a particular version of Chrome, where if the certificates were missing intermediary certificates, they were marked invalid–but there was an error in the javascript console thing that started me toward the solution. Is it hanging before that sort of stuff loads?

1 Like

My goal page was hanging in Chrome but clearing the cache also worked for me.

2 Likes

It was hanging without any errors showing up in the js console. In my gashboard it was rendering part of the page (like the hexagons, and rows), but would not finish loading the js, so no > in the hexagons, no graph thumbnails. The status bar at the bottom would either say “contacting s3.amazonaws.com…” or “contacting stats.g.doubleclick.net…”

The exact same thing happened logged in as a second user. So it was specific to my computer, not my Beeminder account. Logging out and in didn’t fix it, and in fact clearing all the cached cookies and localstorage from the beeminder domain didn’t fix it. It was fixed when I cleared the entire cache. So that makes it seem less likely to be Beeminder’s fault at all, except for the part where all the other webpages I visited were working fine…

1 Like

Side note: gallery and dashboard are separate things again so that portmanteau is even more confusing than it started out as. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the help with this crazy bug, everyone! Please do keep letting us know if you encounter things that seem at all related to this.

1 Like

For me both the gallery and dashboard hang on Safari. Nothing ever loads even with disabled cache. Eventually the mac umbrella shows up…
Both pages work on Chrome. Safari version 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.10)

1 Like

Thanks @apolyton! Does this happen only on the new design, not the old one? [1]

[1] Reminder that that secret link is only for emergencies and helping with comparison for feedback on the new design and we definitely have to stop supporting it when the critical bugs in the new design are fixed. Not for day-to-day use!

1 Like

Correct.

Update: both pages load in a private window but not on a normal one. I tried clearing and disabling caches.

2 Likes

The problem appears to be solved now without me doing anything.

2 Likes

Should have updated this thread too! Fixed as of about 4 hours ago: New Design: Unresponsive script on dashboard

4 Likes