How do I set the 'zoom' on my beeminder visualization to show 1-2 weeks max and not the entire time period?

What it says on the title. I have trouble with ADHD and notice that visualized data appeals to me more than an abstract set of numbers in a table. Ideally I would like to be able to have a zoomed in view of only a week or two and if I go above the YBR, I’ll decided whether to make it steeper or let it say the same if I have commitments in the future that cannot be avoided.

10 Likes

You can edit the time range under “Terrifyingly Advanced” settings on the goal, but you need to enter an absolute date, not a relative date. So you would need to edit the setting periodically to stop the view from widening.

4 Likes

Ah. :frowning: That was my understanding of what was possible as well. Just figured I’d ask still. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As with most things here on the forum, either chime in with your [dis]approval or click the heart on someone’s post. That’s partly how we gauge interest in potential features; in this case, relative date settings for tmin and tmax.

3 Likes

What @philip said. This is not hard to add but I’m not certain about the priority because truly zoomable graphs are coming later this year.

3 Likes

Despite the topic, this isn’t actually a question about zooming. It’s orthogonal to client-side graphs, because there’s a distinction between default-viewport and easy-zoom-and-pan.

I have a number of goals that I periodically ratchet forward the x-min and x-max, for which it’d be handy to be able to express them in relative terms and be done with it.

8 Likes

Ah. Good to know. :slight_smile:

[quote=“philip, post:6, topic:557, full:true”]
Despite the topic, this isn’t actually a question about zooming. It’s orthogonal to client-side graphs, because there’s a distinction between default-viewport and easy-zoom-and-pan.

I have a number of goals that I periodically ratchet forward the x-min and x-max, for which it’d be handy to be able to express them in relative terms and be done with it.
[/quote] AMEN (since it’s a Sunday) :smile:

to quote myself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

bump… @dreev perhaps a candidate for 2016’s feature list? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@dreev Another bump as it’s past the first anniversary since my original posts :smiley:
At 30 goals total, trimming my graphs has become a job on itself…

4 Likes

I’ll fourth this (after @imran, @philip and @apolyton) as a nice feature to add.

3 Likes

For features like this, which could be implemented 100% client side fairly easily, and which the Beeminder team probably hasn’t decided are a bad idea but just doesn’t appear to have time to work on (as evidenced by this still not being fixed 20 months after being reported), has anyone considered writing a browser extension?

It’s painful for me to hear that you’re maintaining this for 30 goals by hand :confused:

4 Likes

Any more thoughts on a relative x-min? I’d love to just be able to enter -60 in x-min and have it always show the last 60 days in my graphs.

I’m confused about the discussion here of client-side graphs and zooming as a solution, btw. That doesn’t seem to be a thing, at least on the website. Did it never happen or can I just not find it?

3 Likes

Fifth!! or sixth I guess?

2 Likes

@dreev Does it count more if I ask for this again after five years? :smiley:

I’m currently “solving” this with a bash script that mass-updates the settings but most people would not call this is a solution :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’d be really happy to get the script!

A kind soul has pointed me to @philip’s script here via this topic.

The original version didn’t work for me on macOS with zsh. Here’s a version that does, if it helps anyone.

2 Likes

Thanks Ozan!

Years ago I looked at changing to zsh and the OSX support wasn’t quite there, now it’s become the official default and I’ve been putting off migrating!

PS: your script seems to be in a private repository

1 Like