Seeking Python Code Mentor

I posted this on my blog earlier today, but I thought maybe someone on this forum might either be able/interested to help me out, or know someone who is?

My initial foray into the world of coding began earlier this year. I’m now at the point where I am at the least cognisant of the major structures and features of this language. If you give me some Python (or Javascript) code I can most likely start to figure out what’s going on.

I’ve wanted to make progress on a small Python side-project involving a front-facing website, a Python application hooked up to a database (most likely PostgresQL since that’s what I know).

I have been stuck for a few weeks, not knowing how to move forward and unwilling to commit to any one of several options in case it turns out to be a dead end. I want to keep learning, and not keep getting stuck so that long time periods pass between attempts to tackle this (very small) project.

So I’m looking for someone who has made web apps and is familiar with Python and very simple databases with whom I can talk my project through. I’d still like to code it all myself, but I need someone who might have thirty to sixty minutes every now and then to point me in the direction of tools or libraries that I might not have heard of. I’m aware that a lot is discoverable via Google and StackOverflow, but nothing beats not having to explain myself and my project from scratch every time I ask a question.

I know there are a lot of developers with experience and an eagerness to give back to the community by helping beginners, so consider this my call for your help. My project is a tool to help language learners, moreover, so your help will have an effect beyond just me improving in my coding skills.

If that’s you, and you’re willing to spend up to an hour per week helping me improve, please contact me on Twitter, via email or just in the comments below this forum post. If you know someone who might be interested, please share this blog post with them. Location doesn’t matter if you’re comfortable sharing code during a video call.

Thank you!

P.S. You can read some blogposts where I discuss my coding progress, and you can also find me on Github.

2 Likes

You can read more about the prototype / project I ended up making here. Still lots to do, but I’m really happy I got this far. I also now have some BM goals to keep going with the development. Viva Beeminder!

3 Likes