YNAB API + Beeminder = YES PLEASE!!!

Hey, all! I know I’m not the only YNAB (You Need a Budget) user who’s also a Beeminder user. Daniel has given me the go-ahead to make this post as a way to collect suggestions for integrating Beeminder with the newly released YNAB API.

My own YNAB goals, all of which are currently manual, but which I’d love to turn automatic:

• A do-more of reconciling my accounts X times per week
  • A reverse odometer (cumulative do-less that resets every month) for spending in my “lunch” category
  • A do-less of categories I have to WAM (move money from a different category to cover overspending) per reconciliation
  • A do-more to update my YNAB forum journal (I imagine this probably doesn’t connect to the app’s API, so it might have to stay manual)

I also have a do-less “delivery” goal that I update manually whenever I get takeout or delivery (and I’ve recently revised it to be triggered when I get lunch out or go out to eat in a restaurant as well), which could probably be automated as well, by triggering whenever there was a new transaction in my “delivery”, “lunch”, or “restaurant” categories, though I imagine that would probably be a bit more complex to set up.

What YNAB-Beeminder integrations would y’all like to have?

I want a “uncategorized transactions” one, and do-more reconciling my accounts X times per week.

A few weeks ago, I did request YNAB API access… haven’t heard anything yet. :frowning:

YNAB is the best. :slight_smile:

It’d be interesting to be able to have a goal to increase the Age of Money metric. Also, how about one for getting your To be Budgeted category to zero once a month? Or how about one for reaching a savings goal in a particular category?

Love YNAB, auto bank sync doesn’t work for Non-US users though and for various reasons I reverted to YNAB4.

My main goal was to make sure that I use the app to add spends, not-out-of-sight, not-out-of-mind and all that re:budget.

My current link with Beeminder is therefore pretty basic. I use Zapier to monitor one of the subfolders of the YNAB Dropbox which gets automatically ‘updated’ when you add a transaction via the App.

Any update = +1 to Beeminder do more goal.

When I used to track spending (before YNAB), by far the most important metric was until when I would have to wait before I was allowed to spend money again per-envelope. The mobile spreadsheet featured that prominently.

As a side note, I got an email today saying that it’s open for everyone now. I think that’s actually been the case for a bit, but it’s super-super announced now :slight_smile:

I want this so BADLY!

Seconded!! I hope some more YNAB and Beeminder users will weigh in to demonstrate the size of the potential user base. I suspect that it’s large!

I’d love something like that, too. I was also thinking if it’s possible to write an integration myself using akrasia, but since @csu is not very active and the project itself seems to be on hiatus (even though my memrise goal still works…) I don’t know if it’s a good investment of time.

Are there any other beeminder inetgration frameworks like akrasia (I guess beemind.me is not something like that?)?

+1

[Edit: Though, I’ll admit this falls fairly low on my own personal wishlist; but I’d use it. Esp. Beeminding age of money.]

Ooh, I love YNAB! Even though it hasn’t been able to sync automatically with my bank for longer than I can remember.

I currently beemind (via a complice integration) inputting data to YNAB.

If there was a direct integration, I’d be tempted to start beeminding age of money and the size of some savings goals.

I especially like the sound of beeminding “do-less of categories I have to WAM (move money from a different category to cover overspending) per reconciliation,” though that might be tricky to implement! I find YNAB works really well for letting me have a better rough mental picture of how much money I have to spend (so I fairly successfully decide on-the-fly “I can find $20 for this” vs “I can find $200 for this”) but I still don’t tend to check YNAB before purchases, even large ones; anything that slapped my wrist for buying first and re-budgeting second would be really helpful.