Beeminder + HeyFocus.com = block distractions until you're on the right side of the road

Hi, guys. This is my first Beeminder script, would love feedback and suggestions:

The idea is to help me take more productive breaks (a nap or a walk) instead of zoning out on YouTube while I’m not on the right side of the road on my most important goals.

Focus is an app that lets you block distracting websites and apps, and it’s scriptable using special focus:// URLs. I wrote a script that checks a list of goals to find the lowest lane among them. If the lowest lane is less than zero (middle of the road), then it triggers Focus to start blocking distractions. Otherwise, it tells Focus to lay off.

10 Likes

Ooh, that’s a neat idea. I experimented with HeyFocus.com for several months, but I’m nowhere near smart enough to script things. Thanks for putting this together!

2 Likes

I’ve worked some more on it since I first posted it. Now it uses a json config file. You rename the example and then edit it, and you can set different buffer days thresh-holds for each goal you include in the file. That allows you to be more-or-less strict on a per-goal basis.

1 Like