Defragmenting my schedule

I used to do this thing where I logged what category of activity I was doing every 15 minutes, then put them into this nifty, color-coded chart (as all sane people do, right? :joy:).

This chart was pretty handy for seeing patterns in how I was spending my time, and I tried to think of scheduling like defragmenting a hard drive and getting all the pretty colors neatly organized. One really bad day threw me off entirely though, and when I tried to start again I really couldnā€™t find the motivation to log my activities every. fifteen. minutes., so I tried to set up a Beeminder goal for how many codes Iā€™d entered per day. URLminder was unimpressed with all the spreadsheet formulas though, so it didnā€™t work, and now I have only a few months worth of beautiful data about last year and nothing for the rest of it.

I just found the solution though: Have one cell which counts how many cells are not empty in a given range, then use IFTTT to log that number to a Beeminder goal. So, in case anyone else ever decides they want to use something similar to this ridiculous system, thatā€™s the secret: a simple ā€œcountifā€ formula. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Thereā€™s two words that come to mind: Pretty. And Insane. Pretty insane actually. :wink:

3 Likes

I think you mean insanely pretty, and insanely awesome! :slight_smile: I tried to do this exact thing at the start of 2018 and lasted about a day. I know @anomalily has successfully done something much like this. Iā€™m super envious!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s an awesome way of displaying the data! I time track (full time since 2014; donā€™t ask me how Iā€™ve stuck with it but now it feels weird to NOT track it) and Iā€™m totally going to steal that.

3 Likes

How do you track? Do you use the probabilistic app?

No, I use toggl, and just start and stop the timer whenever I change tasks significantly.

1 Like

Oh coolā€¦ I have a bundle of questions if you donā€™t mind - I kinda want to try.

so do you have toggl always running?

Do you have it on multiple devices?

What do you do when you donā€™t have a device handy?

What if youā€™re switching back and forth between a few different tasks?

Donā€™t you forget to switch it a lot?

What level of granularity do you use? Do you have a few task labels loaded in there or are you entering new ones all the time?

No problem, I love talking about my systems!

Yep, I have toggl running in my browser on my home computer as well as my work laptop, all the time. Iā€™ve tried using the mobile app but frankly itā€™s terrible, so I generally donā€™t track in detail while Iā€™m out and away from computers ā€“ when I get home Iā€™ll mark the time as ā€œGot groceriesā€ or ā€œBus home + Got dinnerā€ or ā€œVisited Christinaā€ or the like. Iā€™m not too fussed about making sure Iā€™m tracking how much time was spent in transit versus at the grocery store or whatever, so that doesnā€™t bother me.

I use the time tracking as a way to NOT switch back and forth between tasks, if I can help it ā€“ keeping the data clean encourages more singletasking, which is a feature for me, not a bug. If I do end up multitasking (this happens a lot when Iā€™m chatting with people online while doing something else) I mark the time spent as ā€œChat w/Richard + Feed Alexā€ and categorize as whichever task got the majority of my attention/whichever tasks is lower priority and I wish I hadnā€™t done.

I donā€™t actually forget to switch that often ā€“ maybe once a day, on average; after 4+ years, it really is pretty ingrained. In general, also, I have a pretty good time sense (helped by 4 years of time tracking!) so if I realize I missed stopping and restarting the timer, I can usually figure out approximately when the task switchover happened. For instance, if I forget to stop the timer on ā€œGet ready to goā€ when Iā€™m rushing out the door for work, I know approximately when the bus arrives, so I can backcalculate when I left the house, etc.

My granularity varies based on what Iā€™m doing and how close to a computer I am. Work actually done on a computer gets listed in detail and in small time chunks, such as ā€œSet up data prep script to run on regular serversā€, whereas, say, watching my daughter might just be listed as ā€œPlayā€ or ā€œTry to settleā€.

Toggl auto-completes descriptions, so I try to re-use the same descriptions when I can (for ease of analysis later, and also less typing), but thereā€™s nothing formalized about them. I do have specific ā€œclientsā€ (which I use for broad categories of things such as ā€œWorkā€, ā€œMeā€, ā€œFaffing Aboutā€) and ā€œprojectsā€ (which are slightly more specific groupings like ā€œSocial Interactionā€, ā€œHouseworkā€, ā€œScrapbookingā€, etc), which is how I do most of my analysis later.

Iā€™ve found it pretty useful to have this kind of data; I was able to use it to break down (in terrifying detail) exactly how much time I spent working on my dissertation, and recently I made a lovely graph showing that it was taking on average 30% longer to get my daughter to sleep compared to 2 months ago. I canā€™t say this data is necessarily actionable, but itā€™s always been nice to know where my time has gone.

5 Likes

lanthala I want to be like that!

I just found out that thereā€™s a third-party app called Toggle for Toggl, it looks like it would fit perfectly in your widget system!

1 Like

Why do you need a 3rd party app - why canā€™t you just use the original Toggl?

Toggl doesnā€™t have widgets and has always been a pain to use on my phone. Using the Chrome extension is super easy when Iā€™m on my desktop, but I almost never even bother with the app any more.

1 Like

My ideal time tracker app would pop up every X minutes and demand to know what Iā€™m doing. Is there any app like that?

1 Like

I donā€™t know of an app like that, but Tasker could be set up to do that and send the info to Toggl.

Yeah, togglā€™s official mobile app is a trashfire: itā€™s super laggy, it is hard to keep synced with the browser timer, and it doesnā€™t have autocomplete, which is just insult to injury when youā€™re using a phone keyboard. Toggle for Toggl, however, looks legitimately interesting, and Iā€™ll likely give it a try!

1 Like

Apart from messing up the nice regular colorful schedule, is there any particular reason not to use TagTime which randomly pings on average every X minutes?

Yeah I want to get better at scheduling my days and I want to be able to look back and know what I was doing at any given time.

Also for billing purposes, but thatā€™s a secondary point.

Toggl doesnā€™t seem to have a way to show how much Iā€™m sticking to a schedule, but Zapier can import Toggl entries to Google Calendar, which should give me a rough idea of if Iā€™m staying on track, I guess.

The other useful thing about time tracking, which Toggl does really well, is telling what percentage of time Iā€™m spending on what tasks. Fifteen minutes is roughly 1% of a day, so when I was tracking time I tried to keep in mind a rough mental idea of what percentage of my day I was spending on things. A single TV show could take up between 1-4% of my day, was that really worth it? I get tired of studying Italian after about five minutes, do I really want to spend less than 1% of my time learning a language, and if so, why bother to study it at all? Togglā€™s super helpful for keeping track of all that.

4 Likes

Actually, this did not work well at all :joy:

Same here!