I want to create a goal of uploading 1 YouTube Video a week

But when I go to ‘create new goal’, it limits me to one day, no option of ‘per week’.

But on a YouTube Tutorial I watched, the ‘per week’ option was available

3 Likes

Hi! Thanks for asking about this – really useful to hear about the confusion.

If you look at the goal creation window, some things will have changed since that tutorial was recorded. Right now it looks like this:

The info in that popup explains a bit more, but basically, Beeminder has always worked with daily progress. Even when people set up goals with “weekly” progress, that always just created a daily amount. This was confusing, so we removed the option to have “weekly” (or monthly/yearly) goals during goal setup.

That doesn’t mean you can’t have weekly goals, though! You just need to set the appropriate amount per day, and then the starting amount of leeway you want (the amount of time before you want the goal to be due). If you want to create a goal of 1/week starting 7 days from now, for example, you’d set it up like this:

That 1/7 will automatically change to be the right number of units per day (so you don’t have to work it out):

And you can just carry on with goal creation from there. You’ll have to enter +1 in 7 days in order to gain your next 7 days of safety before the goal becomes due again. This example helps to visualise how that will work:

Just to check, what tutorial was this? If it was anything from us, we’d want to fix things up or pull down the video, so it’d be helpful to get a link, if you remember!

3 Likes

Thank you. What if my goals are just from monday to friday? Like I want to upload a video once a week but excluding weekends. (I’ll be tracking it using IFTTT to YouTube, so realistically I’d be uploading a video every friday in this situation / or sunday in a 7 day situation). Also, would my chart derail if my uploading schedule is to upload on the last day of the weekday/ or weekend And, the link to the video is: Using Beeminder to achieve the goal of making YouTube videos - YouTube - not an official video, was just a tutorial for this scenario

1 Like

Because each time you’d get seven more days of buffer, it shouldn’t become due on a weekend if you keep up with it. You’d want to set your “respite” to seven days as well, so that if you derail it will be due again at the right time. (Or 0 days and you have to do the thing the next day, but that way the deadline will gradually “creep” and it won’t be due on the same days… you could fix that with ratcheting, of course, but I’m trying to keep it simple!)

2 Likes

Ooh okay thank you. So essentially, one per week would be like 1/7, with a 7 day buffer. And as long as I upload within those 7 days, it’ll just give me 7 more days of buffer.

5 Likes

Do keep in mind that if the goal is red on a Tuesday, because beeminder is fundamentally daily-based (which is the point of this thread), you can’t wait until Friday to prevent the derail: you gotta do it when it’s red!

2 Likes