iOS app gets stuck fetching data

It’s been hours since I last used the beeminder app on my iPhone 6s and when I open it, it looks like this:

It seems stuck but the UI still partially works. I can pull down the list:

Sadly it doesn’t result in an update of the list’s contents. I can open the app’s settings and all that is still working. Bee that as it may — but only forcibly stopping and restarting the app gets it to chooch again.

2 Likes

And the weird thing is, for me, that it often seems almost as though the data had been successfully fetched, but not displayed. That’s how quickly it sometimes comes back after restarting the app.

For me, the app is fully functional during this ‘stale’ state. I can open goals and add new datapoints, for instance. Is that what you mean by “partially works”?

Tagging @apb

It happened again!

I’ve been in my favourite part of the app, the stopwatch screen, doing my favourite thing there: working past midnight :wink: after which and with a hearty tap on “Exit” I returned to… this:

I took a long and expectant look at it but alas nothing happened.

Oh my bad I must have missed your question there earlier. Yes that’s exactly what I mean by that. I can navigate around and go to settings. I have not tried creating new goals but I’d still say we are indeed talking about the same thing.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. Does anyone know what’s going on?

1 Like

I have the same thing. I need to restart the app once per day. Otherwise the overview screen is never updated and/or the chart thumbnails are empty.

2 Likes

We’ve got some fixes in the works. There still a little ways off, so don’t start checking the app store for updates daily or anything yet(!), but we’re on it!

2 Likes

I found another bug! Or another manifestation of this one. In any case, it’s another thing you can test:

• Go to your archived goals on a computer and un-archive an old goal
  • Open the Beeminder app on your iPhone. Note that it looks like it’s working. It says “Last updated: 13 minutes ago”.
  • Drag the list down to force an update
  • You expect the boxes to turn grey again and the app being in a semi broken state but no, it refreshes and now says “Last updated: less than a minute ago”. Awesome!
  • Except… where is the goal you just brought back from the dead?

OK I eventually forced the app to terminate (or whatever flicking it out of the app switcher does) and started it anew but the goal is still not there. Another goal that I also unarchived moments before the invisible one is there, though. Maybe it is a different bug after all?

1 Like

Workaround: on the settings tab is a scary-sounding button ‘reset data’ that forces a full refresh of your goal data.

But as an improvement idea / feature request for @apb’s list, maybe any manual action like pull-to-refresh should also force a re-fetch of the current list of goals.

I pulled-to-refresh plenty but what eventually helped was @shanaqui’s hint to log out and log back in! Apparently that’s a known bug.

1 Like