I’ve started and stopped FreeCodeCamp many times over the past several years, and am two measly projects away from getting my Responsive Web Design Certification. As close as I am to finishing the certification, I haven’t logged into the site in months. I know that I’m unlikely to unless I can track my progress in Beeminder because this seems to be the only way that I get anything actually done, haha.
Ideally there would be an easier way to do this, but here’s what I’ve figured out so far:
Accounts You’ll Need
- Set up a Do-More goal on Beeminder.
- Make an IFTTT Applet with Webhooks and Receive a web request as the “This” trigger.
- Set the Event Name to something like FCC_points.
- The “That” action is adding the data to Beeminder. If you’re using the same point-tracking setup that I’m describing, you’ll want to send Value2 as the Datapoint value.
- Go into the Webhooks settings and get your key. You’ll see something that says URL: https://maker.ifttt.com/use/LongStringOfNumbersAndLetters. Copy the LongStringOfNumbersAndLetters part.
- In URLooker, there’s a form for the page you want to monitor. Paste in the LongStringOfNumbersAndLetters part. The other settings should be filled in similarly to this, obviously with your own username in the URL.
- Go make some progress in FreeCodeCamp! Once you’ve completed a single lesson, go into URLesson and click Check Now. You might have to do the same on the IFTTT applet. Then refresh your Beeminder goal. (Impatience is absolutely essential!!)
- Enjoy finally being super motivated to finish all of FCC!
You could easily do this with the streak count as well, but I thought tracking points would be more realistic for me. This should work for any other site with a similar setup and I’m planning on trying KhanAcademy next.