Way to annotate milestones on a graph?

I’m the same, but am now really glad that I didn’t put a # on any of my data classification tags…

Thinking of the myriad of reasons someone might add a #hashtag to a datapoint’s comment without intending it to be a milestone, maybe we should choose a different sigil to explicitly mark milestones.

Unrelated: earlier this week I could have #multiple #tags in a single datapoint and they’d both display. Now only the first tag in each datapoint is displayed, so I can have multiple per day but only if they’re on separate datapoints.

1 Like

Is that still true for you? Maybe I broke it briefly? But I’m failing to reproduce it now…

As for other uses of hashtags, if there’s demand for it we could have the graph setting be the sigil character (default “#”) instead of just a checkbox to turn it off altogether.

Yep, my half-marathon goal only shows one annotation per datapoint.

2 Likes

I can concur:

1. only the first tag is shown
  2. if you have two data points you get one tag shown from each point

Thank you

1 Like

Figured it out! It worked for me because my tests were like “#one blah blah #two” and my regex failed if it was just “#one #two”. (See my previous post with the regex for details if for some reason you care.)

http://beeminder.com/changelog#2792

2 Likes

I absolutely LOVE this feature. It’s one of those things I didn’t know I wanted, but now can’t imagine not having. I can’t wait to figure out all of the ways I’m going to use it. Having the ability to, say, visually display when I made a change to the requirements of a graph, when I invoked the fine print, when I did a major retroratchet (<-- reducing the number of safe days), when the graph was frozen o archived, when I went on vacation… I can think of about twenty thousand uses and they’re all awesome. I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

[edit: I did have one concern about it, but I’ve emailed @dreev about that already.]

4 Likes

Incidentally, when I followed this link I found that all the little github icons next to the UVIs are broken. They all seem to refer to a repo beeminder/beeminder that does not exist.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, it’s a private repo. Those links are really just for us. :slight_smile:

Ah. Whatever happened to bos – d – beeminder ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for asking! I got daunted by the amount of work involved, noticed the value of being able to point to potentially sensitive user data in GitHub issues, etc, and was generally feeling uncertain about how important it was. I didn’t want to abandon the idea either, so I just scheduled a long break. It starts sloping up again in June…

Fair enough!

1 Like

As a lisp programmer, I want dashes.

But in any case, this feature is awesome.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: I mean, it’s a one-character change to the regex so let me know if you’re serious…

PS: Two-character change (Wheeeee[taptaptap]eeeeee!).

1 Like

I am serious in that my time writing clojure has made dashes rather than underscores look like the correct way to write a multi-word token to me.

But not serious about it being an important feature. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m posting my confusion here in case it may serve as a valuable historical record to others: why is there no #hastag #milestone on this graph??

23%20PM

I started with #18th-political-thought as my desired hashtag (since the sull title of the book is “The Cambridge History of Eighteenth-Century Political Thought”) but I have amended it so it no longer starts with a number or contains dashes.

I used a regex tester to the regex above ((?:^|\s)(#[a-zA-Z]\w+)(?=$|\s)) and it matches on #political_thought_18thC.

What am I missing??

1 Like

OH, now I feel silly – I went to adjust other parts of this goal, and saw the checkbox in privacy to turn the hashtags on… welp. I will still let this stand as future debugging assistance, I suppose.

4 Likes

Got into the same trouble, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dreev Did we ever get dashes?