If you’re like me and think there’s a 99% probability any new Beeminder goal of yours will be integery (see megathread), then you might like to get this enabled automatically for your new goals. Setting this up is a PITA but once you’ve done it once your goals will automatically become integery ~24 hours after you create them!
- Create a Zapier account if you don’t have one.
- Go to parser.zapier.com and create a new mailbox.
- Go to Gmail and find one of your new goal reminder emails from Beeminder. You know, one of the ones with the subject line like
getting reminded about your username/goalname beeminder goal. Forward it to your new Email Parser mailbox.
- When the mail comes through, highlight the
goalnameportion of the email subject and name it something like “goal name”. It should end up highlighting just the goal name / slug for your goal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w0f6q2cw3tln3n/Screenshot%202015-10-28%2016.06.52.png?dl=0
- Go to the
Forwarding and POP/IMAPtab of Gmail Settings. Click the
Add a forwarding addressbutton. Enter the Email Parser address you created in step 2. Go back to Email Parser and wait for the Gmail email to come through. Copy/paste the verification code back into Gmail.
- Go to Zapier and create a new Zap. It’s going to be from Email Parser
New Email-> Webhooks
PUT(e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i59pls9z7rz1yjr/Screenshot%202015-10-28%2015.55.56.png?dl=0 ). Select your Email Parser account and then select the mailbox you created. Don’t filter the mail on step 4* (see below).
- On section 5 of building the Zap, the URL should end up looking like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsdz51mbhzpo28f/Screenshot%202015-10-28%2015.58.09.png?dl=0 . Start by copy/pasting
https://www.beeminder.com/api/v1/users/YOUR_USERNAME/goals/GOAL_WILDCARD.json?auth_token=YOUR_AUTHTOKENinto the URL field. Then replace YOUR_USERNAME with your Beeminder username and YOUR_AUTHTOKEN with the token from https://www.beeminder.com/settings/advanced_settings . (Reminder, don’t share that token with anyone). Then delete GOAL_WILDCARD and in its place click “Insert fields” and select the “goal name” parameter you created in Email Parser (step 4 of this list). Whew!
- Set payload type to
json. Under data, put
true. Leave the rest of the settings as they are. e.g.: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbdn5cld08bytl5/Screenshot%202015-10-28%2016.00.39.png?dl=0
- When you test the ZAP, it should say it was successful (assuming the goal corresponding to the email you forwarded in step 3 wasn’t deleted in the meantime).
- Go to Gmail and search for
from:firstname.lastname@example.org subject:"getting reminded about your". ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsj2aautl5dw5hx/Screenshot%202015-10-28%2015.50.51.png?dl=0 ) Click
Create filter with this search. Select the forward email option, and select the Email Parser email address you created in step 2. You should see a scary pink butterbar for the next week like https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt9qkoxxb3fzdne/Screenshot%202015-10-28%2016.09.17.png?dl=0
*There’s room for improvement here if you think you may create some non-integery goals. You could decide on a prefix for their slugs and then filter the new goal email out if it contains the prefix (in section 4 of creating the Zap in step 6).