Can I reset my daily goal?

Sounds like you just need a binary goal “did I eat at least 2500 calories” instead of logging the number of calories.

Hi again!

Yes, this sounds like the best solution; I checked in about how retroratchet is supposed to work and it won’t necessarily make your full amount due, and won’t have any effect at all on a day when data entry is already due.

(Incidentally, FYI for @zedmango, it was never “fixed” as such, because nothing changed – you’ll still find the same behaviour when the stars, or rather road widths, align correctly. Or from your point of view, incorrectly!)

1 Like

Are you sure about this? I get different results now from following the steps in my bug report than I did when I posted the bug report, so something seems to have changed.

Yes, I am sure. To quote @bee, “nothing’s changed with the implementation of retroratchet for do more goals in like 3 years”. I’m sure you can acknowledge that she would know, even if you don’t trust me to have the right answer from a coding point of view! :wink:

2 Likes

:frowning: :sob: I would not want you to think I didn’t trust you.

I am very confused why following the exact same steps seems to give different results now though.

What do you mean about the road widths aligning correctly?

Ah, that was a joke! You’d be right to not trust my understanding of code – I don’t understand it a bit. :slight_smile: I can’t actually explain the exact circumstances myself, but basically it would be possible for you to see the same situation again with exactly the same road, road width, daily rate, etc… but it might never otherwise occur.

1 Like

So that doesn’t working that I expect, because Beeminder thing that at second day I must not eat 2500 calories (only 2000), but I should do it.

An interesting point from @philip is that there is a custom goal type that keeps you only doing the exact amount that the slope requires each day. If anyone wants to experiment with that, first you need premium, then you need to enable the custom features for a goal, and then you want to change the aggregation to “skatesum”. But it is only available for premium users and might not always behave itself as you’d expect intuitively… (hence why it’s a custom goal thing.)

3 Likes

Isn’t that the same as auto-retroracheting to 0?

Edit: I found the answer:

This is really great! I think I may use it…

I don’t understand - how many did you eat the first day? If you eat 3000 the first day, it will tell you that you need 2000 the second day.

If you don’t want a buffer built up you can use skatesum or just set up a binary goal.

@bee

So I’m very confused about this - if I follow the exact same specific steps I listed here:

I no longer get the same results as when I originally submitted the bug report.

So has beeminder changed in some other way such that those steps lead to a different result somehow? Or did I make a mistake somehow?

Trying to understand what happened.