Ah from your link and now that I’m not sleep-deprived, I see that to use tags for this you tag your mornings-off goals as
morning (or whatever you want to call it), and then when it’s morning, just “manually” filter to that tag so you don’t see the rest. In other words, no need for automatically doing some fancy scripting thing with the tags, just remember to look at the right filtered list in the morning.
Again this seems like it might be 90% of my 90% here, so I guess this is an 81% solution (the other 19% being made up of automatically filtering in the mornings and not counting any repeats I do then – I suspect much the bigger part of that is the “automatically filtering” in fact).
Interesting, thank you. I don’t currently think of my goals as ordered all that much – I think of them in groups, something like:
- habit-based (‘floss goals’): bit of a non-group, in this sense: if things are going OK they happen at the right time automatically, then when I look at the goal list later I’ll tick off the ones I did
- these morning ‘big blocks’ goals
- other ‘big blocks’ goals that I’m less keen to do in the mornings (e.g. some parts of money admin)
- evening goals that I usually do past my 10 PM no-screen cutoff (e.g. reading, piano)
- exercise (I don’t have a routine / good habits for this at the moment so have to be reminded)
- everything else (many of the easy-but-have-to-actually-do-it kind)
Tags seem ideal for that of course. I’m sure there is scope for ways to use tags to automate keeping things out of my view that I don’t want to think about – I’m pretty sure I’m going to like that a lot when I get around to it, because I already don’t see max-once-per-day goals for example, and that was much more useful than I expected. In particular:
- In the morning, only show morning big-blocks goals (different goals depending on whether weekend or not)
- Before 10 PM, don’t show the evening goals
- Hide the other big-blocks goals (money, etc.) before some time cut-off (time depends on whether it’s weekday or weekend) because almost always I plan not to do them before then
- Put exercise goals in my face somehow around 12 so I plan to go for a walk at lunchtime
No doubt time isn’t the only possible trigger, but for me it’s the most relevant at the moment.