See daily total datapoints?

I have a Do Less goal to do less of a physical behavior. Every time I do the behavior adds one data point to the goal, with the max allowed per day currently set to 30. I recently upgraded to Beeplus to enable autoratcheting back to 30 max every day.

But now I can’t see how many total data points I accumulated yesterday (which was accessible based on how much I had to manually retroratchet), or any day. Yes I could export all the data and sum all the "1"s in a spreadsheet, but that’s extra work for something that exists in my goal somewhere.

Aside from going back to manual retroratcheting, is there some way to see the daily total? Is there a different goal type that would be better for this?

3 Likes

+1 for a way to switch the graph of a do more/do less to daily delta. I’ll whip up a prototype to do it with the API later today.

2 Likes

Here’s the proof of concept, with some caveats (mainly that it’s terrible). First, how it looks:

EDIT: moved here: Beeminder visualization tools: prototype

2 Likes

Thanks - did you move it? I got my token and subbed in the variables as stated, but get a connection reset.

That’s weird. I don’t see anything in the error logs (I haven’t enabled an access log, just so I don’t store tokens anywhere), and I can still connect. Are you sure the first part of your address is “eugeniobruno.com:12344/”? If it was an error in my code (which would be more than likely!), you should be seeing a “500 Internal Server Error”.

Let me know if you can (or still can’t) get it to work.

Ah - it’s some network config on my work secure wifi!. I just switched my phone to a non-secured router and it works fine.

1 Like

This would be great. For the purposes of beeminding, I’m pretty much sold on the idea of only tracking cumulative values. But as an alternate view of the same data, easy access to a histogram would be fantastic!

Making a bunch of small tools to visualize beeminder data sounds fun! Beeminder makes me do what I should do; then I could get a bonus nerding out over way too many graphs. :stuck_out_tongue:

For starters:

1. Daily delta (like the graph I posted above, just less terrible)
  2. Point delta (graph with a point for every datapoint, without quantizing the x axis to days, useful for stuff you want to do consistently throughout the day)
  3. Point cumulative (like beeminder’s graph but without x axis quantization)
  4. Histogram for both days and single datapoints

I’m starting to play with haskell, an easy project might help with learning.

Slightly unrelated, but writing this here too kind of as a reminder: I’ll also write a tool to automagically generate a single time task beeminder goal, eg “Remember to return the book by saturday” without having to mess with road editors.

Suggestions welcome!

2 Likes

@eugeniobruno Yay haskell! You wanna try pair program / learn that together? I’m thinking discord and vs code live share. I’m in UTC+1.

@phi A couple of problems with that: I’m not using beeminder anymore (at least for now), and I’m preparing for university exams in February.
On the other hand, I’m also UTC+1 and would really like to try pair programming sometimes.

If you want, you can shoot me a private message and we can maybe do something like half an hour/an hour daily at a set time? That should be manageable for me.

To me that sounds quite contradicting :grin:

Sure! I’m currently quite busy with uni myself but that will soon get better.

1 Like

It does, doesn’t it? :smiley:
I’m trying to simplify my day a bit and go as basic as possible. I usually love nerding out over graphs but right now I just want to do as much math as I can before my brain just gives up :slight_smile: When I’m like this, I find for me tracking and graphs and such are counterproductive.